Thank you all, and Coaly too. Finished install, thanks!

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Asltrfl

Sep 10, 2015
Utah
Just a short shout out to all of you for helping me. I've been trolling here for the last three months, and without your help and this website I wouldn't have been able to do it. I picked up an old Fisher Grandpa Bear for 300 bucks on craigslist in excellent condition. I live in Utah, it gets freaking cold up here at 6,000 ft. plus. Me, the Wife and my three kids just bought a 4/2 house with only a heat pump / AC in may this year. Yeaa! a real house, not a mobile. But our previous Mobile home had a small wood burning stove that worked great, although we had no idea what the hell we were doing. When we bought this house, we knew that a wood stove would be what we wanted for real heat, especially if the power went out, which it does out here in the middle of nowhere from time to time in the middle of winter.

I searched the forums on how to build a hearth, and we did it. Then we searched the forums on how to buy stovepipe, chimney, and cut out our roof sheathing, the shingles, and do it right. I used Selkirk DSP stovepipe, a 90 degree elbow from the rear exit Fisher, and then Selkirk JSC through the roof with a total of 14' of chimney / stovepipe.

It took me and the wifey 3 weekends to complete the job, following all the posts, links, and videos posted here on this site. It cost around 2500 bucks, a few killer buys on ebay and the rest from Menards, which was slow shipping, but a great deal. I reduced the 8" flue on the Fisher down to 7" piping, even though Coaly said that 6" would work fine. The 7" cost more than the 6" but not that much more. I had no idea what I was doing, but being an excellent car mechanic, and gunsmith, I knew that I could figure it out with some help.

Tonight was the big night for us. Holloween night, it was 40 degrees outside and 65 in the house, we had some good dry wood and fired up the Fisher. Was I a little scared?...YES! She loaded up the stove and lit her up. I climbed into the attic and watched, felt, and hoped. Got the stove up to 400, and the stovepipe/chimney to 600. No leaks, no smoke in the house, just a perfect first run. Ran the stove for 6 hours, and the wifey knew exactly what to do with the new Fisher, adjusting the intake knobs perfectly as she added wood, while I nervously checked everything in the attic and on the roof. WOW!~ Thank you all for your input and advice. I feel like I owe you all some money. A safe, clean, beautiful installation, in our home. We can now not have to worry if the power goes out, and can be "off the grid" if need be. You guys/gals are great. What a resource! Again, thank you all. Wish I had pics to share, but they are already here/there if you search for what you need. Thanks Coaly for the Baffle thread, it worked perfect the first time. WoW! What else can I say...Thank you all, Thank you all!!!!

Reactions: sauto1985
Welcome, and enjoy! This site is an amazing resource with allot of very knowledgable people. Keep toasty!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.