Thanks from a rookie!

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Arnoldnorth

Dec 11, 2013
Wallingford, CT
I've learned so much the past couple of months. I got a cord of wood delivered today. I built two 1/2 racks of wood so I know I got my money's worth. The guy said I would not be disappointed and that it was ready to burn. Thanks to you guys I knew that I should be at or below 20 on the moisture content. Two random samples clocked in at 15. So he was true to his word. We will be getting a HI300 insert installed between Christmas and New Years. The install will have a 35 foot liner. Being a transplant from TX in the Northeast I'm looking forward to reducing heating oil use and keeping old man winter at bay. So in short I'm learning and can't wait to get in the game in a couple of weeks.

Reactions: gyrfalcon
I've learned so much the past couple of months. I got a cord of wood delivered today. I built two 1/2 racks of wood so I know I got my money's worth. The guy said I would not be disappointed and that it was ready to burn. Thanks to you guys I knew that I should be at or below 20 on the moisture content. Two random samples clocked in at 15. So he was true to his word. We will be getting a HI300 insert installed between Christmas and New Years. The install will have a 35 foot liner. Being a transplant from TX in the Northeast I'm looking forward to reducing heating oil use and keeping old man winter at bay. So in short I'm learning and can't wait to get in the game in a couple of weeks.

Sounds like you're doing good. But be sure you check with that moisture meter on the inside surface after resplitting a piece, not on the outside or the end, which are much drier than the inside. It's rare to be able to get wood that's ready to burn from any supplier, but it can happen sometimes and you may have hit the jackpot.

The folks here are amazing and held my hand in my first year burning, and I honestly don't think I would have made it without them. I live in a land of woodburners, but I literally don't know anybody here who has a modern EPA stove, so they all happily burn essentially green wood in massive cast iron smoke dragons and shake their heads at my obsession with dry fuel. I needed the Hearth.com posters to teach me how an EPA stove works because it's so completely different.

I
Sounds like you're doing good. But be sure you check with that moisture meter on the inside surface after resplitting a piece, not on the outside or the end, which are much drier than the inside. It's rare to be able to get wood that's ready to burn from any supplier, but it can happen sometimes and you may have hit the jackpot.

The folks here are amazing and held my hand in my first year burning, and I honestly don't think I would have made it without them. I live in a land of woodburners, but I literally don't know anybody here who has a modern EPA stove, so they all happily burn essentially green wood in massive cast iron smoke dragons and shake their heads at my obsession with dry fuel. I needed the Hearth.com posters to teach me how an EPA stove works because it's so completely different.

I did in fact split the wood and checked it close to the center. In the right direction as I've read on here.,I'm just really looking forward to getting started after the homework I've done. My Wife thinks I'm crazy.

Good! Hang onto that supplier! And if you expect to burn regularly this winter, get some more. One cord won't take you very far and you'll almost certainly quickly become addicted. If he hasn't got anymore of that dry stuff, get a cord or two from somebody else now and get it stacked for next year.

Once you figure out how to get the most from that stove, I'm sure you're going to love it.

I

I did in fact split the wood and checked it close to the center. In the right direction as I've read on here.,I'm just really looking forward to getting started after the homework I've done. My Wife thinks I'm crazy.

she'll get over that quickly when that hl300 starts walking the dog with that good wood in it! nice stove BTW,

and Arnold, Welcome to the Hearth!

Nice to see fellow CT guys in here! Congrats on the stove and the firewood. You will be pleased! My wife's cousin has that same insert and he loves it! You should have no problems reducing that oil bill for sure.

Status
Not open for further replies.