Thanksgiving Turkeys

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Mr A

Minister of Fire
Nov 18, 2011
N. California
At the edge of town, a bunch of wild turkeys pecking at a grass strip at the side of the road. Seeing a lot more of them lately

Attachments

• 20130722_111845.jpg
    20130722_111845.jpg
    220 KB · Views: 94
  • 20130722_111851.jpg
    20130722_111851.jpg
    222 KB · Views: 83
Yeah - more and more are showing up locally here. I think the yote population has taken a hit and allowed for the rabbits, turkeys, possum, coons, etc. to rebound.

i usually see a fair number anyways, but I too think numbers are up. saw a clan cross the road in front of me on the way to work yesterday in a place i had not seen them before. of course, they could have been going to work. they entered a lot that they are clearing of trees for some type of construction project. i never seen a turkey work a backhoe, but that doesn't mean they can't.

This is the first year I have ever seen herds in PA.

Reactions: Ashful
Herd sounds more menacing. Come on. They are turkeys. *giggles* All in good fun.

(I have been daydreaming about deep fried turkeys since my lunch break thanks to this thread.)

RAFTER of turkeys. A group of turkeys is called a RAFTER.
Yeah, yeah, yeah...I know...picky, picky...

How about a flock?

Its a rafter of turkeys (one rafter is 20 turkeys, actually) and a raft of ducks on the water, and a team of ducks in the air, a bevy of quail, a congress of ravens, a gaggle of geese on the ground, and a skein of geese in the air, a murder of crows, and a nye of pheasants.

Lots of rafters of turkeys wandering around northern California and southern Oregon these days. They are increasing in population all over because they have been intentionally reintroduced into the wild nationwide to re-establish their numbers. They were extinct in many states from over-hunting by humans. Here is a lot of data and info on them:

http://www.standard.net/topics/sports/2010/05/28/wisconsin-takes-national-turkey-title

We had several turkeys nest in the woodland property of my ex's place in Southern Oregon. They liked to brood under the walnut trees just outside the sheep pasture fences where the dogs were on duty to keep the predators away. We had turkeys roam through there all the time. Everyone pretty much ignores them. We had one peacock named Junior-Junior (the son of Junior) that decided he was a turkey and joined a rafter of toms wandering through the property one day. I was out cutting firewood about 4 months later and saw the same rafter of toms, and there was Junior-Junior, still roaming with them. They roost, forage and fly about the same, so may as well hang out together.

How about a "crap load" . . . that's what we have around here . . . a "crap load" of turkeys. They're everywhere. Come winter time I have a crap load coming through to check out any bird seed that the other birds have knocked out of the bird feeder.

THey are every good smoked.

How about a "crap load" . . . that's what we have around here . . . a "crap load" of turkeys. They're everywhere. Come winter time I have a crap load coming through to check out any bird seed that the other birds have knocked out of the bird feeder.

Shoot one for me, and I'll keep you in walnuts until you're cursing my name!

Reactions: firefighterjake

That's called preemptive weed abatement. :p

Shoot one for me, and I'll keep you in walnuts until you're cursing my name!

I thought about just snapping one's neck. I don't hunt, so I looked up the regs on wild turkey. Season is just a few weeks in spring and fall, and a low limit, 2 or 3 per season, I'd have to look again to be exact. Method of take is shooting with buckshot or bow and arrow. Doesn't say anything about throwing bird seed at them and wringing their neck. This guy was wandering down the street last fall.
IMG_20121206_165658.jpg

Two or three a person isn't going to make a dent in the population we have, or that I see driving through NY.

I keep thinking (a) those birds must be awfully tough, and
(b) those birds must be clinking with ticks.

Bow and arrow, buck shot, ford, Chevy, and dodge.

Status
Not open for further replies.