The 14 times I handle fire wood

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

bogydave

Minister of Fire
Dec 4, 2009
So Cent ALASKA
1: cut tree into 16"/18" etc logs
2: move rounds to a pile
3: lift to split *
4: lift to split (sometimes this can expand to several)
5: throw to a pile
6: load wood on truck, trailer & haul home*
7: off load to a pile **
8: stack (if stacked in wrong place add 1 or 2)***
9: load in wheel barrow/trailer
10 off load wood by house
11: stack in wood box in the house
12 load in stove * *** :)
13 shovel what's left into a bucket
14 haul bucket out & dump

*Sometimes : 3 is 6 then 3,4,5 move down 1.
** could add more if unload place is not near where you can will stack
*** wife may want the wood pile in a different location or need to move it to build a shed
* *** purpose for wood- heat

How many steps did I miss?
Can anyone improve the method & handle less?
When possible I drag the tree close to the load or split pile before I cut it up. (cuts #2 - throw /carry to pile distance)

Who has the most efficient system?

Who has the least efficient system? (other than me)

Reactions: albert1029
1. cut rounds
2. load in truck
3. pile in driveway
4. split (repeat as necessary)
5. stack
6. move to porch
7. load in stove
8. shovel ash
9. dump ash

Tired just thinking about it.

Reactions: Blue2ndaries
No wonder it seems like exercise ! Tired now must take nap. :cheese:

1. Cut tree.
2. Upend rounds where they lay and split.
3. Load splits on trailer.
4. Unload into woodstack.
5. Years later, stack on porch.
6. Carry in house.
7. Chuck in stove.

I love every step!

I don't think I am much more efficient than 14 steps, and maybe less. I tend to work spradically, so during the times when I am not doing much with the wood, I tend to have to move it for various reasons. Add several unnecessary stacking steps, and you have my system. I am sure I could be more efficient in terms of how many times I touch the wood, but my system is designed to allow me to use the many short periods of time I have, not to minimize the number of times I handle the wood. Maybe I am just too lazt to be more efficient.

This is what i'm hope to improve. Basically, i cut, split and pile up wood. Than i relocate wood in garage, errr... wood storage facility, when seasoned. Stays in pile until i need to fill boiler. So i got it fairly good. But next time i do wood, I'm piling it on pallets, right off the splitter, will be able to move with set of forks on my tractor. Line up in rows in middle of field. season well. Before snow sets in, open garage door, put in 4 or 5 pallets. Leave in place until i load boiler. Just got to find a FEL or make up a set of forks to go on the 3-point hitch of tractor.

I keep dreaming of a kubota with a 3 point and stacking on pallets with sides. That way I can split and stack in a pallet and move it to season. Then when ready pick up the pallet and move it near the house to burn... But I am still following the 14 step process...

I'm lucky, it's not new but i've picked a MF180('70's vintage) i use that for bush hogging. No cab, will fit in garage nicely. i also have a MF1135 with a 9ft snowblower. MF's are cheap up here.

I am already tired of all this counting! LOL

Time for me to reload Oslo.
More coffee too!

Stay warm.

Hi -

I have noticed that moving the bucked logs right to the splitter, then tossing most of the splitts back into the wheel barrow, and stacking right awy saves time.

Since it seemed a good deal more efficient I tried it for a 1/2 day. I got the same amount of wood split & stacked... And the area around the splitter was ready to go for the next load.

We've got the first snow of the season headed this way. I covered the spliter and immediate surrounding with a tarp to keep it a little nicer.

All the best,
Mike

Never pile or temporarily stack, green wood, its a big waste of time. Once stacked leave it until seasoned.

Yea I have recently moved my estimate of movement from 6-8 times upwards of 8-10 times for each piece and I think that is conservative. Not sure I care to be more efficient though as like others have said I enjoy what little wood time I get.

burntime said:
I keep dreaming of a kubota with a 3 point and stacking on pallets with sides. That way I can split and stack in a pallet and move it to season. Then when ready pick up the pallet and move it near the house to burn... But I am still following the 14 step process...

I can't recommend the Kubota enough. Saves my back and is a ton of fun in the process!

1. I have a truckload delivered at the street (8 cords or so)
2. Cut most of it up into 80" lengths
3. Bring around back w/ tractor and stack
4. Cut 20" log lengths off of 80" logs
5. Split, fill up loader bucket
6. Bring loader to seasoning pile, stack
7. Fill up loader bucket with seasoned wood and dump it into basement through bilco doors
8. Load into boiler

I think the neighbors look at me like I'm crazy, but you never see the oil truck going to my house!

Attachments

• Wood 1.jpg
    Wood 1.jpg
    76.6 KB · Views: 1,057
  • Wood 2.jpg
    Wood 2.jpg
    91.3 KB · Views: 1,075
  • Wood 3.jpg
    Wood 3.jpg
    90.2 KB · Views: 1,061
  • Wood 4.jpg
    Wood 4.jpg
    74.8 KB · Views: 1,071
Step 1 Call the guy with the wood
Step 2 Tell the guy with the wood where to stack it
Step 3 Get the kid to bring wood in every night and start the fire up and keep it going
Step 4 Mix a Martini
Not sure where you guys are going wrong but 4 step method works for me LOL

sandie said:
Step 1 Call the guy with the wood
Step 2 Tell the guy with the wood where to stack it
Step 3 Get the kid to bring wood in every night and start the fire up and keep it going
Step 4 Mix a Martini
Not sure where you guys are going wrong but 4 step method works for me LOL

Well I'm going to test run your method with my wife, (NOT!)
Do you think I'm nuts? (no answer required)
Does work for her though, I am "the guy with the wood". & (am the kid too)

The usual routine

1) Cut down tree
2) Split where tree falls
3) Load dump truck and then dump where stacking
4) Stack wood
5) Haul about a cord into garage as needed
6) Put wood in stove
7) Shovel up ash once or twice a week
8) Empty ash can once a month or so

1) buck into rounds and load onto truck
2) off load truck at processing spot and split
3) wheel barrow splits to stacking area
4) 1 year later load seasoned splits into truck bed
5) off load seasoned splits to porch and garage
6) carry wood to bin beside stove
7) load into stove (easiest and most fun part)
8) Not so concerned about the ash which is removed weekly and dumped once a season.

For me, the most work is moving the big rounds out in the field - especially if you can't get the truck close.

It is work at the time, but well worth it.

1.) cut into rounds
2.) load into tractor bucket
drive to splitting area, dump into pile.

3.) split
4.) stack
5.) cover
6.) move splitting log further down stack row

I'm cutting mostly trees that have been knocked over in a storm or are in my way

For those who are addicted to wood burning, but are not happy with all 14 of those wood handling steps, I think they have a plan you can use to cut it down to 12 steps. You have to attend a long series of weekly seminars to master the technique, however. :p

Reactions: Realstone
If cold go outside and light tree on fire.

Repeat if necessary.

Saved you 13 steps.

Reactions: albert1029
log loads delivered to cutting and splitting area.
Buck logs
Throw splits into trailer as I split
Tow trailer to stacking area, stack
When dry, throw splits in trailer
Tow trailer to front of house
restack dry wood in front of house (5-6 cords)
take splits from stack on porch into the stove room storage bin
put splits in stove
Empty ashes from stove every 3-4 days
when ash can full, dump in safe "dumping ground" near woods
Move wood from farthest stacks to porch as porch supply dwindles

Of course, some of this changes when scrounging, and I've probably forgotten a step or 2.
Pretty crazy when you break it down like that.
I'm tired just thinking about it.

I guess it's not all about the amount of work,

BUT:

more about the rewards. :)

PS: when cutting wood close to the house, cut rounds, split, load, stack (saves a few handling steps)

madrone said:
1. cut rounds
2. load in truck
3. pile in driveway
4. split (repeat as necessary)
5. stack
6. move to porch
7. load in stove
8. shovel ash
9. dump ash

Tired just thinking about it.

Same here. I can count on one hand the number of trees I've knocked over for firewood.

They say lazy people make the best workers because they find the easiest way to do things. I'm hoping to be lazy. :)

My plan next summer is to put my effort into making the whole process easier. I don't mind cutting and splitting wood but in 15 years I don't think I'll want to spend the time and effort on wood that I do today.

Next summer I'm building a wood processor and I'll be obtaining 50 or 60 wood pallets and firewood bags (as seen on youtube).

My process will be to take the wood processor to the woods. Fell and limb the tree. Pick up log with Bobcat grapple and set on wood processor. Wood is cut and split and carried away via conveyor until it falls off the conveyor and into my firewood bag sitting on the pallet. When full, replace pallet with an empty pallet.

Then throughout the winter as I need wood I'll bring the pallets into the wood shed using the bobcat with forks.

So the only time I handle the wood by hand is when I cut the tree and when I throw the wood into the furnace. No moving by hand or stacking. Worst case, I may have to stack the wood on the pallet inside of the bag if the wood doesn't season.

Status
Not open for further replies.