The 17 year Cicadas are coming

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

paul bunion

Minister of Fire
Apr 3, 2013
NJ
Anybody have the 17 year cicadas yet? I can't wait for the infestation to see nature in action. Although I've moved since the last time round, I do have a bunch of oaks in my yard and hope they come by the millions here too. Nothing like it being so loud outside that you can's hear yourself think (or my wife talk lol). I'll take it anyday over hearing the sound of forest being eaten by Gypsy Moths and their 'litter' hitting the ground.

:)

None here... yet.

Went thru 2 cycles.
Once when a kid , 6th grade I think & one time,
must have been 17 years ago, when back in WV visiting my folks.

Keep you hands & head inside the moving vehicle,
motor cycle folks , gloves & a face shield .
Don't leave the sun roof open. ha ha ;)
Ear muffs if you live near woods.
Scrunch scrunch :)

Nothing here yet and I live in the middle of an Oak forest. I too am a bit excited to see it happen.

Get ready to wake up early in the AM. We had them here about 5 years ago.

17 years ago in Fairfax VA

bug11.jpg bug3.jpg bug6.jpg

Yep. They are up and running here.

Don't believe I've ever heard one here. If I did, we certainly weren't engulfed in them enough for me to know what it was.

pen, Quakertown had them so bad in 2005 that I could hear them roaring over the music and air-conditioning in my Dodge pickup with the windows rolled up at 55 mph. First time I heard them, I thought I had a tire low on air, or something else on the truck making the whining noise.

The funny thing here is that they stop a few hundred yards East of the house. I can hear them but we don't have them on our place. Same as it was 17 years ago.

Hmm. I took those pics above in my back yard. They were everywhere. It was very interesting, I'm glad I got to see it happen.

Hmm. I took those pics above in my back yard. They were everywhere. It was very interesting, I'm glad I got to see it happen.

Yeah the last time we would drive home on the back roads of Fairfax and Prince William county every day listening to the roar.

I remember driving through the Shenandoah National Park and down the Blue Ridge Parkway. As we got more south they really got super thick. It was the first time we'd seen or heard those buggers.

Status
Not open for further replies.