The blower for TN-20 Insert

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Suzu

Oct 18, 2016
Ontario, Canada
Greetings,

Since my husband and I decided to have a fireplace insert installed into an old stone fireplace at our cottage, I've been enjoying reading postings on this forum. Thank you very much for useful information!

Although we originally considered EPI22 from Timberwolf, we'll probably go with TN-20 Insert from True North, mainly due to pricing. Another possible option could be CW2500 from Century. Anyway, we are more or less happy with the specs of TN-20, but I'm not sure about the blower and wonder if anyone can provide me with the following information;

- I know EPI22 has a dual blower system, but does TN-20 or CW2500 have the same system?
- how many CFM for the blower of TN-20? (I believe 160 for EPI22, 130 for CW130)
- I've also noticed that TN-20 doesn't have a louvers-like structure at its front bottom like the other two, wondering whether the blower works differently and possibly less effectively?
- Can the blower be very noisy? (I assume from the price it can't be super quiet but I wonder if it could be unbearably loud.)
- If the blower is in poor quality, can "a more powerful and less noisy external blower", if such a thing exists, be an option?

My apology in advance for so many (pre-?) entry level questions. But if someone can help me, I will greatly appreciate it.

Best regards,

Suzu

Last edited:
All good questions Suzu. While True North stoves have been out for several years, the TN20 insert was new last year. I don't recall seeing one being reported installed here yet. The single blower has a variable speed control. That may make it pretty quiet on low speed, but much more noticeable on high speed. Ask the dealer what the cfm rating is.

Thank you, begreen, for your quick response. (I love your avatar, by the way!) Actually I asked the questions on True North's website before I posted my questions here, but I only received an email from them saying their dealer would contact me to answer the questions, which unfortunately they haven't. So I was hoping someone here might be able to answer them. I didn't know that TN-20 Insert is only in its second year and I hope it is a good insert as I believe we're probably getting it.

Status
Not open for further replies.