The Brick Wall Backer is Finally Built!

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

soupy1957

Minister of Fire
Jan 8, 2010
Connecticut
www.youtube.com
The custom designed brick wall backer behind our Avalon stove is finally done!!

-Soupy1957

Attachments

• BrickWork4.jpg
    BrickWork4.jpg
    96.3 KB · Views: 640
That looks great.

It's the bee's knees.

So tell us how you did it. Looks like a brick veneer stuck to the sheetrock with thinset. I would like to do something similar so tell us some tips.

I generally am not much on brick, but I do think I could live with that. Very nice, and most importantly different. 2 thumbs up from us.

Super job! I like the use of the weathered brick. The arched crown on top is also a really nice touch. Well done.

I like it! Looks like you got a little helper there.

Joe Fischer gets the credit, from "Fischer's Landscape" in Cromwell, CT. We wanted to put some sort of decorative brick (half the weight and thickness of full-size bricks), behind the wood stove,and over the 5/8 fire-retardant Dry Wall, and so we shopped around. We had an idea of what we wanted, and interviewed about a half-dozen Masonry workers.

Joe's background is with a lot of forms of Masonry that is built outside, and he admitted that this particular application would be a first for him, but his references were impeccable (as you might expect they'd be), and his experience with mortar and bricks was a plus. It would mean that he would have to create templates for the arch and layout, and research the most durable and logical application products possible.

He started yesterday morning, and by the end of the day yesterday, had all the bricks in place on a 3/8" (?) backer board that he adhered to the Dry Wall (not sure if he glued it, or nailed it). Today, he came bright and early, and using a mortar in between the bricks that had the color that my wife wanted (isn't that always the case?), put in the decorative final touches.

We had a couple of wrought iron hinges that I think we bought in St. Augustine, Florida, in the Spanish Quarter, that we asked if he could embed between the bricks, and he did. They allow us to hang thinks (like the poker and wrought iron key you may see on the left side of the bricks), for additional adornment.

The cost ended up being $200.00 less than we had thought, and we really like the way it came out! I imagine that it will last us for many years, and Joe is to be commended for his creativity, attention to detail, and craftsmanship!!

As for the little helper.........that's my grandson Stephen (named after me) who normally would never get that close to the stove, (we have one of those kid fences) except that we haven't fired it up for two days, while Joe has been doing his work. That little fella (Stephen) gets such a kick outa handing me the individual kindling pieces when I fire up the stove.........he really LOVES to watch the fire, and help his "Pepére" get it ready.

I've attached another pic here, of the brick wall after the dark mortar has been applied. The brick work is not tapered or angled, by the way.......that's just my lousy picture taking & cropping skills.

-Soupy1957

Attachments

• Completed Brickwork 4.jpg
    Completed Brickwork 4.jpg
    127.7 KB · Views: 462
Wood Heat Stoves: It's an Avalon Rainier 90 with no blower. We intentionally bought it without the blower. Please note that the info on our stove is in my Signature here.

The Ecofan's job is to move the cold air pocket from the back of the stove, forward, to warm ALL the air around the stove. It does its job very well! (See also the video on YouTube: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=djkMf-7x42s).

P.S.: Joe Fischer (the fella who did the brick work) mentioned to me the other day that the backer board used for the application shown in the pictures, was nailed AND glued to the 5/8" Dry Wall (for the record).

-Soupy1957

Status
Not open for further replies.