The Caddy Advanced is finally on PSG's site...

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

usernametaken

Burning Hunk
Nov 25, 2017
Western, MA
Reactions: trx250r87
I'm not sure what features the Caddy has that the HC doesn't. Maybe @SBI_Nick can shed some light?

I'm confused as to why anyone would purchase a Caddy Advanced for $4500 when you could buy the Heat Commander for $2800. Both furnaces have the exact same specs.
I thought the same thing, by the time you add an ECM blower you are pushing 6k with tax. For that kind of money I'd get a Kuuma.

The difference in price is no greater than it used to be. I was quoted 4-5k for a Caddy a year ago, but purchased my HMX2 for 1,899. But yeah, I can't explain it.

I know they are marketed differently with the Caddy line geared more toward professional HVAC installs and the Drolet for DYI installs. However, other than the plenum differences, I haven't read what makes one better than the other for each type of install...

Do they have a better warranty? Other than the (eventual) option for a dual fuel Caddy, I'm also baffled on what you get for the extra money...other than the obvious dealer markup, and then they can install it for you too (for more $)...which some people need, not everybody can do their own installs, and it can be hard in some markets to get anyone to install/service something they didn't sell new...

Perhaps there are structural differences that aren't reflected in the specs? Did the previous Caddy suffer the firebox cracking issues that its sister product did? I'm just spitballing but specs don't always tell the complete story. I hope Nick pops in tomorrow and gives some insight.

Did the previous Caddy suffer the firebox cracking issues that its sister product did?
No...but they were made differently at the front, where the Caddy and HC look to be about the same now...the previous generation Caddy had the front of the firebox blower cooled, where the Tundra was just bare on the front (air cooled, but not by airflow from the blower)

Again, looks can be deceiving. I'm betting there's more to the difference than the nameplate... but I've been wrong before and will be again... just watch... LOL

Again, looks can be deceiving. I'm betting there's more to the difference than the nameplate... but I've been wrong before and will be again... just watch... LOL
There were indeed some differences before. Things like dhw option on the Max caddy, touchscreen control thingy, etc. But real world performance was little difference. I'm just glad they still make the cheaper diy version!

Reactions: sloeffle
On the other hand, I wish they still made a "Max" version as none of what SBI makes now produces enough heat for my home...

Hi,
sorry for the late answer, i didn't spend as much time watching the blog lately.

As I previously mention they are pretty similar performance wise. Better waranty, cleaner look, HVAC oriented, ECM blower available. And here in Canada it is certified to be install in serial Add-on.

thanks,

Reactions: laynes69 and andym
As of 2019 all furnaces (central furnaces) are required to contain an ecm motor. Is this not required for woodfurnaces?

Any update of the details of the CR yet Nick?

I just called PSG to ask a few questions about installation of the new unit as it’s finally available I believe in October. They were very helpful to answer any questions that wasn’t specified in the pdf manual.

I also asked about the Advanced CR. The guy told me exactly what Nick said, that it’ll be their combination furnace available sometime mid to late 2022. It’ll be wood combo with electric, oil, and get this…possibly propane! I guess they are still working out the bugs with it, and said it wasn’t a guarantee. Offering propane would be huge, as propane is very common here in New England. I know several people, including myself with primary wood heat with backup propane. I hope they can make it happen!

That's how I'm set up with LP as a backup. It would be nicer to have a simplified install with just one furnace but I'm guessing that the BTU rating of the Advanced will be the same as the standard which is far under my Max... No new furnace day for me I guess...

That's how I'm set up with LP as a backup. It would be nicer to have a simplified install with just one furnace but I'm guessing that the BTU rating of the Advanced will be the same as the standard which is far under my Max... No new furnace day for me I guess...
You sure it wouldn’t be able to keep up? In reading the threads on the Drolet HC, it’s exceeding the previous gen Caddy, putting it closer to where the Max was. What’s your house set up?

On the coldest days, my Max can just keep up in the main house and the zone over the garage gets a bit chilly. Main house is about 2700 sq/ft and room over garage is about 850 sq/ft. Plus, I have a TON of ductwork when you figure the wood furnace is at one end of the house and the garage is at the other end. The first floor runs are normal but the second floor is long and the garage room is longer.