The Caddy Advanced is finally on PSG's site...

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Maybe Nick can comment, but I think the Advanced also has a stronger blower motor than previous gens. Might help when pushing it up to the second floor. It’s funny because I have a zone over the garage as well that isn’t quite as warm on the opposite side on the house that my old Jensen struggles to keep warm. I think insulation in the garage ceiling would go a long ways to keeping the cold out. I may try to upgrade that insulation.

I wonder if the firebox will stay the same on the CR. I hope so.

Mine is well insulated since I'm new construction in 2019. I even went back in last fall and pulled down the existing fiberglass and spray foamed the knee walls with closed cell and used the glass to double up from the garage ceiling. I also had my foam guy do all my ducts that are outside the building envelope because the wrap the HVAC guys use it pretty weak. This all helped a lot. It's as tight as I'm going to get now but summer and winter will never be 100% the same compared to the main house zones.

I did read about the better blower option on the advanced. It will be interesting to see how it plays out. I wouldn't be too excited about trimming down 21 cords (3 year supply) from 24" to 20" though.... ;)

ya that wouldn’t be fun. I can use 22 inch in my old Jensen pretty comfortably. That’s the downside to the Advanced. Would be nice to fit some longer pieces in there.

Caddy Adv has a ECM blower too I think...at least as an option, if not std.

Mine is well insulated since I'm new construction in 2019. I even went back in last fall and pulled down the existing fiberglass and spray foamed the knee walls with closed cell and used the glass to double up from the garage ceiling. I also had my foam guy do all my ducts that are outside the building envelope because the wrap the HVAC guys use it pretty weak. This all helped a lot. It's as tight as I'm going to get now but summer and winter will never be 100% the same compared to the main house zones.

I did read about the better blower option on the advanced. It will be interesting to see how it plays out. I wouldn't be too excited about trimming down 21 cords (3 year supply) from 24" to 20" though.... ;)
I think you could still burn the 24" pieces in the Caddy, assuming the firebox is the same as the Heat Commander, as they would still fit corner to corner. I would consider cutting some of that wood in half to use East to West. The Heat Commander loves the "log cabin" type loading technique.

Eric

Reactions: LogCabinFever
Well, technically I'm dreaming because everything I have is brand new 2 years ago. So, there is really no need for me to upgrade.

Hi everyone,

the Caddy Advanced and Advanced CR will share the same blower either a PSC motor or a ECM motor. They both also use the same combustion chamber, which is the same as the Heat Commander. As previously mentoinnned, the meaning of the Cr is Combo Ready. It means that you will be able to add as options, a electric unit, probably a gas unit, domestic water pre-heating loop like what we have in the Max caddy. Also, it will be more friendly to connect with existing HVAC in place.

Thanks,

Nick

Reactions: sloeffle
Will Advanced Caddy CR give us the option of connection to a existing oil/propane furnace from the side like the standard Caddy add-on. Rear entry air to a Advanced Caddy from my existing furnace is not an option as I can not bring furnace out into the room into my walkway.

Will Advanced Caddy CR give us the option of connection to a existing oil/propane furnace from the side like the standard Caddy add-on. Rear entry air to a Advanced Caddy from my existing furnace is not an option as I can not bring furnace out into the room into my walkway.
Hi Fredric,

this is something that you should be able to do like in the previous Caddy.

We are progressing, not as fast as we would like. As in all industries, we are struggling with crazy long component lead times. The release of the product will definitely be delayed, but I think the wait will worth it.

Thanks,

Nick
Understandable. Do you think you are still on pace for release this year since it’s the last year that the full 26% tax credit is available in the US?

Reactions: usernametaken
Understandable. Do you think you are still on pace for release this year since it’s the last year that the full 26% tax credit is available in the US?
Hard to tell, for sure it will be tight. I don't know what are your needs, but if you don't need all the bell and whistles the Caddy Advanced offer the same performance.

thanks

Hard to tell, for sure it will be tight. I don't know what are your needs, but if you don't need all the bell and whistles the Caddy Advanced offer the same performance.

thanks
I plan on getting the Caddy Advanced. But my desire is to replace both my old wood furnace and my old propane furnace with the single Advance CR model. Both of the 30+ year old furnaces are exhibiting significant issues and it seems like good timing to simplify the set up and also increase the efficiency rather than replace both furnaces respectively.

If it means anything, I am willing to be a test subject of one of the first models of the Advanced CR. I think what you guys are doing is fantastic work and I am very impressed with the Advanced and I trust the CR will be a hit!

The advantage of the Caddy over other units has always been the options and the flexibility that is offered. I like the bells and whistles.

Not once you buy a blower.
True, but it still seems the gap between the two has narrowed quite a bit. For whatever reason, the Heat Commander has increased in price quite a bit since being introduced, despite the fact that it seems to be selling well. While the Caddy has only dropped or remained relatively the same price. I’m sure SBI moves far less Caddy’s, but it’s still interesting that it’s $1k cheaper on this website than any other site, in addition to free shipping. Seems too good to be true.

I need some of you experts to help me out. I had decided to get a wood furnace to use along with my geothermal. I had convinced myself to buy once and cry once with a kuma. It was between it and the heat commander. I now see this caddy advanced and also read about the option of heating hot water with it.

Would I have any issues connecting this with my geothermal unit? Even when adding a blower the caddy would be a good chunk cheaper than the kuma. Or do you think I would still be better off with the kuma. Sorry to hi jack a thread. I am just wanting something pretty fool proof and easy to operate.

Others can confirm but my understanding is that it depends how you hook it up. Due to the smart operation of the furnace, the Caddy Advanced operates differently than previous generations. Your geothermal unit therefore, cannot use the blower from the Caddy. They must operate as two separate furnaces connected in parallel (for the US). If you set it up that way, I don’t know why you wouldn’t be able to have both.

The Caddy CR supposedly will have hookup for hot water loop. The regular Advanced does not.

Would I have any issues connecting this with my geothermal unit? Even when adding a blower the caddy would be a good chunk cheaper than the kuma. Or do you think I would still be better off with the kuma. Sorry to hi jack a thread. I am just wanting something pretty fool proof and easy to operate.
Connecting it how...for heat? The hot water coil is just for domestic hot water...nowhere near enough flow and/or BTU's for heating the house.
If you want "fool proof and easy to operate" the Kuuma is king there...and I have played around with a HC enough to know for sure.

Reactions: woodey and sloeffle
Yes it would be connected only to use for heat. The geothermal would only be used for heating when we are gone and no fire.

I was unsure how it worked with the hot water. Our geothermal will help heat the hot water and I was thinking if the caddy also did that it would be a plus as I don’t think the kuma does

I have a the same exact setup you are talking about. I have a Caddy wood burning furnace, and geothermal. The heat from my Caddy indirectly heats my hot water via a HPHW in the winter. The HPHW also dehumidifies my basement in the summer. Win win situation since I no longer have to run a dehumidifier in the summer.

I'd get the Kuuma and not look back if you are wanting a wood burning furnace. I was thinking about upgrading my furnace to a Kuuma this year but decided to go the gasifying OWB route instead.