The gods, nature, banks, rent-a-car companies, retail stores, and the local rental center...

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

BrowningBAR

Minister of Fire
Hearth Supporter
Jul 22, 2008
San Tan Valley, AZ
...all tried their damnedest to prevent it from happening, but a third stove has finally been purchased. It is an "overpriced, unsightly, fad" Hearthstone Heritage. Not a scratch on it. Looks brand new except for some ash in the firebox.

Got it for a grand. So, maybe you can cross off "overpriced". Would have liked to have gotten a Woodstock (long burn times and can burn at a lower temp), but I feel good about the Heritage. Father in-law owns one and I like how it works.

Quick recap as I am tired:
Blizzard forced everything to close early Friday and nothing opened Saturday (even though the snow didn't start until 8pm, the prediction was for 2pm). So, I couldn't withdraw cash apart from what I could grab from an ATM (I had to visit 10 ATMs as many of them were out of cash). My handtruck and lift rental was for Saturday (and the rental store never opened even though they assured me their was no chance of them not opening). Home Depot's rental facility was not open. My Uhaul reservation didn't pan out as they were not open, and Enterprise car rental reservation nearly fell through as they closed much earlier than they said they were going to.

Congrats, You sure went through a lot of crap for your 3rd stove, hope it works out for you.

Nice, sounds like a great deal. When will #3 be up and running?

BeGreen said:
Nice, sounds like a great deal. When will #3 be up and running?

Next season. It will be a Spring/Summer install. I wanted to buy it now so I could space out the time in which I will need to purchase pipe/liner/cap/etc. Seems less painful that way.

Congratulations but I guess this means I can stop taking care of my Fireview for you!

Todd said:
Congrats, You sure went through a lot of crap for your 3rd stove, hope it works out for you.

On top of that I found out the guy I bought it from had his wife tell him this morning that she changed her mind and didn't want to sell it. Thankfully the seller ignored his wife (his problem, not mine).

wendell said:
Congratulations but I guess this means I can stop taking care of my Fireview for you!

Yeah, I figured even if Woodstock would sell the stove to me used it would be in the $1500-$1800 price range.

BrowningBAR said:
Todd said:

On top of that I found out the guy I bought it from had his wife tell him this morning that she changed her mind and didn't want to sell it. Thankfully the seller ignored his wife (his problem, not mine).

Yup, snooze ya lose. So was this fellow a card carrying member or HAA? (Hearth Addicts Anonymous) :) Maybe he's a Hearth.com member heading for an Equinox?

When the Gods want to punish you, they answer your prayers...

BeGreen said:
BrowningBAR said:
Todd said:

Yup, snooze ya lose. So was this fellow a card carrying member or HAA? (Hearth Addicts Anonymous) :) Maybe he's a Hearth.com member heading for an Equinox?

Nope. He might purchase a pellet down the road, but he didn't want the stove in his home with a 3 year old and a new born. He feared them touching the stove and burning themselves. I told him that that was definitely the right thing to do and I would be right over to pick up the stove...

~*~Kathleen~*~ said:

Dang, that's clever! Who said that?

Congrats BB, sounds like a good un. Of course you KNOW you will see something that's half as much and 5 minutes from your house in the next month, right? The beauty of Craigslist will strike again. (I suggest you stay off it unless you need MORE stoves!)

tickbitty said:
~*~Kathleen~*~ said:

Congrats BB, sounds like a good un. Of course you KNOW you will see something that's half as much and 5 minutes from your house in the next month, right? The beauty of Craigslist will strike again. (I suggest you stay off it unless you need MORE stoves!)

I'm staying the hell away from CraigsList for a while before I start to rationalize replacing the Vigilant with a more efficient stove. And you know it will happen. I'll seen a Castine cheap and I'll start to convince myself that by buying a more efficient stove I will save wood, blah, blah, blah...

Oh, and lifting a Heritage into the back of a pick up is a whole world of ugly. I think I blew out a nut on that one...

~*~Kathleen~*~ said:

Those bastards!

BrowningBAR said:
BeGreen said:
BrowningBAR said:
Todd said:

Nope. He might purchase a pellet down the road, but he didn't want the stove in his home with a 3 year old and a new born. He feared them touching the stove and burning themselves. I told him that that was definitely the right thing to do and I would be right over to pick up the stove...

Lucky it wasn't me. Our kids were raised more with the "you burn, you learn" philosophy. They learned, Oweee, hot! very early. They never actually got a burn, but earned the respect of things that could hurt at a very young age. There weren't child gates and assorted protection materials a generation ago and further back. Somehow us kids survived and thrived.

BrowningBAR said:
tickbitty said:
~*~Kathleen~*~ said:

I'm staying the hell away from CraigsList for a while before I start to rationalize replacing the Vigilant with a more efficient stove. And you know it will happen. I'll seen a Castine cheap and I'll start to convince myself that by buying a more efficient stove I will save wood, blah, blah, blah...

Oh, and lifting a Heritage into the back of a pick up is a whole world of ugly. I think I blew out a nut on that one...

Nah, stick with the Vigilant unless you see a cherry Fireview for $1000. It happens and I grumbled being the one that almost got it, but missed it by one email.

BeGreen said:
BrowningBAR said:
tickbitty said:
~*~Kathleen~*~ said:

Nah, stick with the Vigilant unless you see a cherry Fireview for $1000. It happens and I grumbled being the one that almost got it, but missed it by one email.

You're killing me. That was the second stove that fell through on me. The first was the $1500 barely used Mansfield. The second was the $1000 Fireview that looked brand new in which the owner changed his mine the day before I was scheduled to pick it up.

Well, enjoy what Hestia has delivered to your hearth. We ended up with an Alderlea from her and a nice fellow up north. It has worked out well.

God, the snow sucked. I live over in valley forge, 422 actually had ramps closed because of the ice. I personally watched a state trooper start to go up the ramp, then stop, then come right back down backwards.

I said to my wife "Uhm, we're taking the next one".

Also lol @ the money thing, the ATM was cleaned out at work too. Everyone on Friday had snow-itus and took a half day, today everyone has superbowl-itus and took a day...

sounds more like a case of work-itus. :)

BeGreen said:
sounds more like a case of work-itus. :)

SOMEBODY HAS A CASE OF THE MONDAYS.

I kid you not - I got a call over the weekend from an exec claiming he couldn't VPN in.

First level support is just about worthless around here so after a bit of trying to figure out what he was doing he said "Well the TVs don't work so I thought I would log in and get some work done."
"Hm, who's your ISP?"
"Comcast."
"Whats your cable modem doing, if I may ask?"

I wish I had recorded the call.

Glad you finally got yourself a stove.

BrowningBAR said:
BeGreen said:
BrowningBAR said:
Todd said:

Hmm... sounds like somebody just MIGHT have some firewood that needs to be picked up too eh?

Slow1 said:
BrowningBAR said:
BeGreen said:
BrowningBAR said:
Todd said:

Hmm... sounds like somebody just MIGHT have some firewood that needs to be picked up too eh?

Nope. The stove came with the house they bought and I think they had two fires in it. I would suspect they bought the bundled wood you see at a supermarket. I saw zero evidence of wood stacks existing on the property.

Sorry.

Franks said:
~*~Kathleen~*~ said:

5 Years ago I prayed for god to help me find a good wife....

10 years ago I thanked god for getting my first wife to leave...

Status
Not open for further replies.