The Great Eddie Van Halen has left us behind

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Too young. Damn cancer.

I saw Van Halen in 1980, we had 12th row floor seats and at the end of the concert DLR screamed, everyone meet us at the HILTON! Well we had poolside rooms as the same hotel so I ran as fast as I could back and I had first row seats to a riot of fans trying to get into the hotel lol. It was something I’ll never forget. It was the best concert I’ve ever seen. Too bad EVH could be a dick to his bandmates sometimes as he was to DLR and Sammy but he could be nice at times too. I think it helped when he quit drinking. RIP Eddy. Say hi to Randy Rhoads.

I saw Van Halen in 2008 at the Scotttrade Center, St. Louis, and David Lee Roth was back with the band. We were way up in the building in the Boeing Suite and they were at the other end, but the constant beer and food was a plus. There was a huge tv screen right behind the band, and when Eddie went into his guitar solos they zoomed right into his guitar work, it was mesmerizing to say the least. Great concert, they still had it!

A couple things about EVH, he did not know how to read sheet music, he watched musicians play and learned from that. His music instructor found out 5 years after teaching him that he could not read sheet music. EVH was so creative with playing the guitar, with his 6th finger pecking style, they had to create a new way to write sheet music for his songs. In a lot of ways he was almost as influential as Jimi on the guitar.

A really good interview that showed how humble and talented he was is here.

I saw Van Halen in 1980, we had 12th row floor seats and at the end of the concert DLR screamed, everyone meet us at the HILTON! Well we had poolside rooms as the same hotel so I ran as fast as I could back and I had first row seats to a riot of fans trying to get into the hotel lol. It was something I’ll never forget. It was the best concert I’ve ever seen. Too bad EVH could be a dick to his bandmates sometimes as he was to DLR and Sammy but he could be nice at times too. I think it helped when he quit drinking. RIP Eddy. Say hi to Randy Rhoads.
Cool story. I only saw them in 2015. Just happy to have seen the band once, Eddie in particular. Drinking/drugs will always mess with your personality. Nice shout out to RR. I'm not even a big Ozzy fan, but I do think about what a huge loss it was to him musically, never mind personally.

Reactions: WiscWoody
I saw Van Halen in 2008 at the Scotttrade Center, St. Louis, and David Lee Roth was back with the band. We were way up in the building in the Boeing Suite and they were at the other end, but the constant beer and food was a plus. There was a huge tv screen right behind the band, and when Eddie went into his guitar solos they zoomed right into his guitar work, it was mesmerizing to say the least. Great concert, they still had it!

A couple things about EVH, he did not know how to read sheet music, he watched musicians play and learned from that. His music instructor found out 5 years after teaching him that he could not read sheet music. EVH was so creative with playing the guitar, with his 6th finger pecking style, they had to create a new way to write sheet music for his songs. In a lot of ways he was almost as influential as Jimi on the guitar.

A really good interview that showed how humble and talented he was is here.

Yep I saw that interview. Very nice! I think he is in top ten easily. He wrote those keyboard riffs. His band had more hits with the replacement singer! His brother an amazing drummer. On and on. A legend.

Reactions: MoDoug