The Importance of unplugging the appliance!

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Ssyko

Minister of Fire
Nov 6, 2017
Lorraine NY
Try to make a habit of removing power to your stove before you work on the components! the pictures below show what a quick short to ground did to the center layer traces in a Quad Mt Vernon. this type of damage is damn near impossible to repair due to zero access to the sandwiched area. the cost of boards for many manufacturers are getting crazy so make it a habit folks.
2003QuadmtV.jpg
2003QuadmtV2.jpg

Reactions: kappel15 and bags
OUCH! I've seen a few threads on fried boards that weren't unplugged. Good luck and sorry to hear about it.

doesn't even have to be lighning. Around the city area the electric co routinely switches the supply grids around- sometimes that is more than 600 volt surge on both sides of the sine wave. Of course they are never at fault.

Reactions: bags
It cracked me up when we were at factory training one year and one of our installers pulled a control board while the stove was plugged in. Zap!

I'm guilty but never paid the price. Mainly when I do a deep maintenance and clean. I have started and then the light went off that I forgot to unplug. Another time after a long day then home for a big stove clean I forgot to put my flame guide back on afterwards. I was looking at how crappy the stove was burning and flames scattered everywhere after such a good clean...... I had left the flame guide in a utility sink.

I usually take things out and do a quick scrub of the parts and hit misc with anti-seize like the exhaust fan blade hex set bolt and igniter door thumb screws. They all made it back but somehow the flame guide didn't.

I'm guilty but never paid the price. Mainly when I do a deep maintenance and clean. I have started and then the light went off that I forgot to unplug. Another time after a long day then home for a big stove clean I forgot to put my flame guide back on afterwards. I was looking at how crappy the stove was burning and flames scattered everywhere after such a good clean...... I had left the flame guide in a utility sink.

I usually take things out and do a quick scrub of the parts and hit misc with anti-seize like the exhaust fan blade hex set bolt and igniter door thumb screws. They all made it back but somehow the flame guide didn't.
I test fired an xxv once after a deep clean and came back in from smoking a cigarette while it lit and the flame was atrocious. I was really confused until I realized I forgot to tighten up the igniter door. That’s what I get for trying to be friendly and talk to the customer while I work.

Reactions: bags and kappel15
I have to tell some that I am not being rude, I just need to concentrate to not let things happen. But I also tell them they can watch, so they know how to do things later. lol

Reactions: bags
I have to tell some that I am not being rude, I just need to concentrate to not let things happen. But I also tell them they can watch, so they know how to do things later. lol
Better that they watch then call and complain that they don’t think you brushed the pipe cause they didn’t see you do it.

Reactions: bags and kappel15