Found a used 1990 Quadra-Fire 1000 that needs work - Suggestions?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

maraakate

Sep 27, 2021
Lancaster, PA
I found a used Quad 1000 for a very cheap price, $100. However, what happened apparently is the blower motor seized and then burnt some traces on the control board. There was some attempt to repair the PCB, but unknown if that works. Where I work, I program microcontrollers for large compressors and we have some older guys that are hardware engineers who worked on things back in the 80s and 90s so they have access to EEPROM reader/writers, etc. so we can test that the logic chip is not ruined. The other components are still available, or can be adapter to drop-in replacements. Fixing the board is not the issue for me. Even if the parts and/or logic chip is destroyed you can still get the board direct from Pantrol.

The main issue for me is the blower motor. OEM assembly is about $300-$400 (!) online. This is pretty pricey, if the motor seized has anyone found another motor through Grainger or other outfits that have the same specs that could be dropped in?

Personally, I think with the state of he really ought to give it away for free or maybe somewhere around $35. I'd like to own it as a separate unit for the other end of the house that would be used for a few hours a night. I do know that the early units had ceramic burn pots so I would have to test that as well. If it is ceramic, what can be done to minimize damaging it?

Thanks!

If you mean the combustion blower, the online prices I see on a quick search average about $180 for the OEM part, which is listed as fitting a lot of different stoves.

I'm unsure specifically which one. One of them was $400 from some vendors I believe for the exhaust.

FYI to those out there: Pantrol still manufactures and sells the complete control boards for all the older Quads and it's a flat rate price of $230 with shipping.

I personally would pass on a 30 yr old unit. By the time you pipe it in ect. If it ends up being junk in a year or 2 you end up having to redo you piping ect. I cant see it having much time left in it. You can find used newer Harmans in your area for $1000 or less. And I am sure other brands also.