The Mediocre Room

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

OhNoJoe

Sep 10, 2014
Springpatch Illinois
Thanks in advance for your insights. I’m a long time lurker first time poster. Our house has a fireplace on an exterior wall in the main living area; we call it the mediocre room. It has space for a living, kitchen, and dining areas and is about 24’ by 20’. The mechanical room, which contains a propane furnace, hot water heater and the fusebox is in the attic above the mediocre room . I’m currently remodeling this part of the house.

The medicor room had a Johnson Energy wood furnace circa 1960 in the middle of a wall that is adjacent to the fireplace. We used the Johnson furnace as the primary source to heat the house. I remove the Johnson because it took up too much space and restricted the placement of furniture. Cutting the living room area by half.

My thinking was that I would get a wood insert and use the ductwork from the Johnson furnace to draw ambient air from the mediocre room to the other rooms in the house. During the planning stage of this endeavor, I saw a dual fuel (that may not be the right term more later) insert that was advertised has a backup heat source meaning the natural or propane gas used to ignite the wood would fire up when the temperature went below a certain set point for example 50 degrees. It used a battery to create a spark to lite the burner so it work during a power outage. Even if we are not at home.

That feature has a lot of appeal to us because one time we were gone for about three weeks in February and our propane furnace stopped working. You can guess the mess we dealt with when we got home. The pipes burst and then thawed then re-froze again burst in different spots…..Fun Times!

Since the time I saw that dual fuel insert my computer crashed and I’ve lost my bookmarks and can’t seem to find this unicorn of a wood insert. I’ve tried various search terms such as dual fuel, hybyrd, backup, propane wood insert. Nothing after literally hours of looking around over the past few months.

Also my beautiful and delightful wife, seeing my frustration, asked why can’t we get a modern wood furnace and use the fireplace chimney. That way she says we can get most the space back and have the one focal point. I can rejigger the ductwork to make that idea work.

So my questions are 1) does anyone know about this mystical insert? 2) what search terms would you suggest to try to find that insert? 3) does my wife’s idea make any sense?

Thanks.

I'm a little lost here, maybe the terms being used aren't what we're accustom to, but I'll try to type out my thoughts / assumptions, please correct me if I'm wrong, I don't want to be misleading.
The fireplace described, is it a zero clearance unit? meaning its not masonry, its set into the wall, the chimney is a metal pipe coming from the unit.
Or is the fireplace a masonry structure with a brick and mortar chimney, perhaps a crock installed sometime to use as an outlet for the wood furnace?
Finding something to heat the house in place of a wood furnace will be extremely hard, I get the idea of piping ductwork to capture heat produced by a stove, but the reality is that a stove could never put out enough focused heat to go through duct work and remain warm (110 deg) when it exits through a register.
Now if your talking about a epa zero clearance wood stove, yes I have seen a few models that offer ducting to move heat to a more specific place, but I don't think it would be designed for what you have in mind.
Is it possible to install a new wood furnace is a different orientation / location from where its currently located, installed on its own chimney and can be spliced into the existing ducted work so you still have forced heating, while redoing the fireplace area for room comfort?