The new processing setup

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Chargerman

Feeling the Heat
Oct 22, 2009
SW Wisconsin
Starting to get the new portable woodbunks I built filled up. It worked pretty well as I split out of the trailer and truck right next to the bunks. Once a bunk was filled I just rolled another one into place and continued loading. Today I got about 2 bunks filled, the others were done earlier. Still have 2 bunks to fill and about half of the one I was working on today when the wood ran out. Each hold around 0.9 cord give or take a little.

If all goes as planned I will pull these bunks into the garage with a cart or trailer.(still working the details out on that) The next time I touch the wood it should be going into the stove.

Attachments

• IMG_20111120_122956 (800x600).jpg
    IMG_20111120_122956 (800x600).jpg
    141.9 KB · Views: 569
  • IMG_20111120_123013 (800x600).jpg
    IMG_20111120_123013 (800x600).jpg
    146.2 KB · Views: 546
  • IMG_20111120_122920 (800x600).jpg
    IMG_20111120_122920 (800x600).jpg
    127.5 KB · Views: 545
  • IMG_20111120_164133 (800x600).jpg
    IMG_20111120_164133 (800x600).jpg
    88 KB · Views: 560
Chargerman said:
Starting to get the new portable woodbunks I built filled up. It worked pretty well as I split out of the trailer and truck right next to the bunks. Once a bunk was filled I just rolled another one into place and continued loading. Today I got about 2 bunks filled, the others were done earlier. Still have 2 bunks to fill and about half of the one I was working on today when the wood ran out. Each hold around 0.9 cord give or take a little.

If all goes as planned I will pull these bunks into the garage with a cart or trailer.(still working the details out on that) The next time I touch the wood it should be going into the stove.

That's really cool! Can you pick 'em up with a FEL and forks? I'd like something like that to just drop onto the front porch whenever I need to "fill the woodbox".

That's really cool, great idea! What size stove do you have, those are some big splits!

babzog said:
That's really cool! Can you pick 'em up with a FEL and forks? I'd like something like that to just drop onto the front porch whenever I need to "fill the woodbox".

The metal frame does have the provisions for pallet forks so that would work. It would take a decent sized skid loader or tractor to move them and I don't think they would go in the garage. Don't have either one so I am planning to build a low slung boxtube trailer that will slide under the bunk, lift with floor jack, attach the wheels, and then be pulled by my garden tractor. I built a 4 wheeled cart and it does work but not like I want and it was too high up for comfort when the rack is full. Works great moving them around empty though.

jwoair23 said:
That's really cool, great idea! What size stove do you have, those are some big splits!

Some of those did end up a little big on a couple racks. My father in law was helping one day and he has burned for 30 years in a Yukon Big Jack so his idea of a good split is a little different. :)

My BBF has a 3.9 cuft box so they will work, sometimes I split them with a maul before burning if I need too.

Chargerman said:

Charger, Those bunks are 3000lbs. Maybe you need more bunks to spread the weight out some. At a ton and a half maybe you should hook them up to your car/truck hitch to put in the garage. Keep the on lookers far away.

Very cool Chargerman. I hope they move easy for you. Let us know how it goes, with pics of course.

gzecc said:
Chargerman said:

Charger, Those bunks are 3000lbs. Maybe you need more bunks to spread the weight out some. At a ton and a half maybe you should hook them up to your car/truck hitch to put in the garage. Keep the on lookers far away.

Thanks, I realize they are heavy and I want it to be safe and convenient at the same time. If the garden tractor(Ingersoll 4020) doesn't do the job I will use something else. It is level ground and the Ingersoll has pulled my 3/4 ton into the shop on several occasions.

And carrying on a bit from your earlier thread, if you're in this deep I would still invest in a pallet jack. I'd even be scrounging CL, & the closest pallet jack/warehouse supplies place, for a used electric one. A couple hundred well placed dollars at his point will leave you smiling for years.

maple1 said:
And carrying on a bit from your earlier thread, if you're in this deep I would still invest in a pallet jack. I'd even be scrounging CL, & the closest pallet jack/warehouse supplies place, for a used electric one. A couple hundred well placed dollars at his point will leave you smiling for years.

Forgot to mention that my dad has one that I can borrow. Should make it easier to move them into place.

Very cool racks. A pallet jack should do the trick of moving them around nicely.

Looking good & efficient.
The might slide easy when the driveway snow & ices up a bit. Winch them wherever they need to go. :)

Sweet setup. What kind of receiver is on your truck? Heavy enough that you could weld up a frame to slide in it and use a floor jack on each end for the on/off?

Nice setup! I plan on doing this next year. I just moved into my house and it has an OWB. With crates like this I can take an empty one to the woods with me with the splitter in tow c/s/s and the next time I touch it is to burn. This is nice since I can keep the wood in a remote location and move it to the stove when needed. This inspires me to get cranking out some crates!

SolarAndWood said:
Sweet setup. What kind of receiver is on your truck? Heavy enough that you could weld up a frame to slide in it and use a floor jack on each end for the on/off?

I don't think I'd put one of those on my receiver hitch. That's a lot of tongue weight.

Definitely a lot of tongue weight. Maybe a couple of super duty casters out on the ends of the forks. Thinking with that smooth a surface to roll it on, that might be the cheapest way to move a couple ton around. Every time I see one of those single axle trailers with a propane tank or skid suspended, I think there must be an easier way to move my firewood around.

Sweet setup. I lose track of how many times I 'touch' the wood before it goes in the stove. What kind of wood is that. Looks like Cedar and I love burning Cedar but didn't get any last year.

WoodpileOCD said:
Sweet setup. I lose track of how many times I 'touch' the wood before it goes in the stove. What kind of wood is that. Looks like Cedar and I love burning Cedar but didn't get any last year.

It is all black walnut, most of it is from tops and leftovers from logging on our farm a few years back. A couple small ones went down in a wind storm a while ago as well.

Chargerman, congratulations to you for searching for the easier way of doing things. I hope this works out even better than expected.

Looks great. I am jealous.

I'd love to do the same, but I don't think I could roll a pallet jack or anything wheeled over my yard. I see yours is sitting on asphalt which will make moving it easier.

Sure would be nice to stack it once and then move it into the garage.

I like it!

Status
Not open for further replies.