The old crack the window trick

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

snowplow

Dec 12, 2013
Wa
I was told to crack the window in the back of the house and it will draw the heat back there. It makes perfect sense to me with a new stove that is air tight and has outside air intake. Because it will expand the air and almost pressurize the room and push it to the cracked window. But how about on an old fisher? Non sealed door, burning inside air, and therefore sucking air in the house through the cracks. Does cracking a window help or hurt here?

Sent from my LG-H811 using Tapatalk

My understanding is that cracking the window may help provide primary air to the stove in a house which is particularly well sealed and therefore doesn't have much air exchange. It's like a test to see if you need an outside air source. Sure, it may help draw hot air somehow, but in MY old house. house it just makes the room cold.