The Regency CI2600 & CI2700 operation thread

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
This definitely is not normal. The temperature should drop when turning the fan to high. You are pushing heat out of the box.
I need to test this a little more. I have seen the temperature increase when changing from low to high fan speed in the past as well. This has occurred when the unit has been running with the fan on low speed for hours.

When I cold started the insert a few days ago the temperature dropped rapidly when I turned the fan from off to on (either to low or high speed).

Tomorrow I will have the installer come and check out the unit and the draft. Yesterday I fired it up again and got a good burn going until I closed the damper and incrementally closed the air to 3/4 closed. The temperature went up to 1400 and the cat was glowing bright. What I noticed is that there is a lot of smoke in front of the cat waiting to get burned. See the video. Do you guys see the same? In the morning my glass looked like in the picture.

20170110_110014.jpg

Attachments

• CI2600.mp4
    3.6 MB · Views: 420
  • CI2600.mp4
    3.6 MB · Views: 467
Tomorrow I will have the installer come and check out the unit and the draft. Yesterday I fired it up again and got a good burn going until I closed the damper and incrementally closed the air to 3/4 closed. The temperature went up to 1400 and the cat was glowing bright. What I noticed is that there is a lot of smoke in front of the cat waiting to get burned. See the video. Do you guys see the same? In the morning my glass looked like in the picture.

View attachment 192467

It may be the video but I only see red orange coals. Is there wood burning on top of the coals or are you getting 1400 degrees with all coals? I personally don't recall ever seeing any smoke in front of the cat like you are seeing.

Curious how long after reload this video was taken. I only get up to high temps after a reload within an hour and then it starts dropping.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I'm also surprised there is no secondary flames at the top of the unit. I have seen some smoke but not in the conditions you have here with very high temperature, only coals with no wood burning. Was your fan on at all?

Sent from my 7040T using Tapatalk

Do you see secondary flames all the time? I do some of the time, but not all, especially not at the coaling stage. If I have wood left or something that resembles wood I seem to have secondaries. I did a log of my times yesterday from a fresh cold load and I am getting about 6 hour burn times. At the end of the night, I just went to bed, I didn't worry about reloading because we are running low on wood anyway and I wasn't going to be home today. I realize I could probably get maybe another hour or so since the temps were at 400 and it was still blowing warm air, but not much more.

Date .... Time ... (1/4hr increments) ........ Cat Temp ... Outside Temp ... Comments

9-Jan-17 .... 7:00 AM ... +00.00 ........ cold ... 8 ... load
9-Jan-17 .... 8:00 AM ... +01.00 ........ 1250 ... 8 ... ........
9-Jan-17 .... 8:30 AM ... +01.50 ........ 1000 ... 10 ... ........
9-Jan-17 .... 9:30 AM ... +02.50 ........ 850 ... 12 ... ........
9-Jan-17 .... 10:30 AM ... +03.50 ........ 700 ... 15 ... ........
9-Jan-17 .... 11:50 AM ... +04.75 ........ 550 ... 18 ... ........
9-Jan-17 .... 12:30 PM ... +05.50 ........ 450 ... 20 ... ........
9-Jan-17 .... 1:00 PM ... +06.00 ........ 400 ... 20 ... load
9-Jan-17 .... 1:15 PM ... +00.25 ........ 950 ... 22 ... ........
9-Jan-17 .... 1:37 PM ... +00.50 ........ 1000 ... 25 ... ........
9-Jan-17 .... 2:27 PM ... +01.50 ........ 950 ... 27 ... ........
9-Jan-17 .... 3:49 PM ... +02.75 ........ 750 ... 27 ... ........
9-Jan-17 .... 5:20 PM ... +04.25 ........ 600 ... 26 ... ........
9-Jan-17 .... 7:00 PM ... +06.00 ........ 400 ... 26 ... load
9-Jan-17 .... 7:30 PM ... +00.50 ........ 1150 ... 26 ... ........
9-Jan-17 .... 11:37 PM ... +04.50 ........ 600 ... 24 ... ........

I have the first generation of this stove, and typically shut the stove all the way down for overnight burns. When I wake up, there are just sooty corners and nothing like what I'm seeing in the pictures of these newer stoves. I generally agree that it seems the newer stoves have more air control, so maybe the answer is to just not shut it down all the way. I was separately discussing this stove with a recent buyer in my area, and he is having the same buildup problem as some others here. He's getting great burn times with what sounds like marginal wood, but the buildup is really bad. Not sure what is going on with the airwash on these new units...

Do you see secondary flames all the time? I do some of the time, but not all, especially not at the coaling stage. If I have wood left or something that resembles wood I seem to have secondaries. I did a log of my times yesterday from a fresh cold load and I am getting about 6 hour burn times. At the end of the night, I just went to bed, I didn't worry about reloading because we are running low on wood anyway and I wasn't going to be home today. I realize I could probably get maybe another hour or so since the temps were at 400 and it was still blowing warm air, but not much more.

I don't see secondary flames for the entire burn. Typically I need to put a decent amount of wood in the stove (not just 3 or 4 splits) and the temperature has to be hot. They occur if I shut down the air supply in those conditions prior to the coal stage. I usually will have very little to no flames on the wood itself, but lots of flames near the top of the stove.

What were your air settings and fan settings and how much wood did you load for the measurements? I would say I am in the same ball park if I don't close the air all the way down to try to not dirty the glass too much. This is putting about 5 to 6 medium sized splits so that the stove is full to the top, but there is lots of space on the sides and around each split (my wood is cut shorter than this stove can handle).

I have the first generation of this stove, and typically shut the stove all the way down for overnight burns. When I wake up, there are just sooty corners and nothing like what I'm seeing in the pictures of these newer stoves. I generally agree that it seems the newer stoves have more air control, so maybe the answer is to just not shut it down all the way. I was separately discussing this stove with a recent buyer in my area, and he is having the same buildup problem as some others here. He's getting great burn times with what sounds like marginal wood, but the buildup is really bad. Not sure what is going on with the airwash on these new units...

I think you are right based on what I have read on this forum.

What is a typical burn time when you load the stove and shut the air all the way? Also what is left in the stove (eg lots of glowing coals, some small coals buried in the ashes, etc)?

It may be the video but I only see red orange coals. Is there wood burning on top of the coals or are you getting 1400 degrees with all coals? I personally don't recall ever seeing any smoke in front of the cat like you are seeing.

Curious how long after reload this video was taken. I only get up to high temps after a reload within an hour and then it starts dropping.

Your observation is correct. No flames. This was about an hour and a half after fully loading.

I'm also surprised there is no secondary flames at the top of the unit. I have seen some smoke but not in the conditions you have here with very high temperature, only coals with no wood burning. Was your fan on at all?

Sent from my 7040T using Tapatalk
Yes the fan was on low all the time. I hope to be able to reproduce that today. The installer is coming to inspect the unit.

I think you are right based on what I have read on this forum.

What is a typical burn time when you load the stove and shut the air all the way? Also what is left in the stove (eg lots of glowing coals, some small coals buried in the ashes, etc)?
The other night I loaded the stove at 11:00 pm, engaged the cat shortly after, shut the air all the way down and went to bed. When I walked back into the stove room at 7:00 am the blower (set on auto low) was still going but shut off while I was getting the next load ready. Stove was still warm. Firebox was mostly ash but a decent amount of coals under the ash. When I rake it around, can get another fire going very quickly with little or no newspaper to help it along. That's a pretty standard experience with the air shut all the way down.

I get the longest burn times when I stack my better woods (for me, ash and oak) N/S on a bed of coals and really pack it tight. Start up fires on a cold stove, E/W fires, and fires with lesser wood (such as sassafras or soft maple) give me shorter burn times. In general, I burn with the air all the way shut down unless I really need to pump out heat or I want to burn down a bed of coals that is growing too large. Then I will open the air up.

The other night I loaded the stove at 11:00 pm, engaged the cat shortly after, shut the air all the way down and went to bed. When I walked back into the stove room at 7:00 am the blower (set on auto low) was still going but shut off while I was getting the next load ready. Stove was still warm. Firebox was mostly ash but a decent amount of coals under the ash. When I rake it around, can get another fire going very quickly with little or no newspaper to help it along. That's a pretty standard experience with the air shut all the way down.

I get the longest burn times when I stack my better woods (for me, ash and oak) N/S on a bed of coals and really pack it tight. Start up fires on a cold stove, E/W fires, and fires with lesser wood (such as sassafras or soft maple) give me shorter burn times. In general, I burn with the air all the way shut down unless I really need to pump out heat or I want to burn down a bed of coals that is growing too large. Then I will open the air up.
I get similar burn times by loading a mix of wood (probably mostly ash) east-west but your glass stays much cleaner. I am filling the stove to some degree but definitely not packing it in there to achieve this.

How tightly do you pack the wood in the stove to achieve the overnight burns?

I get similar burn times by loading a mix of wood (probably mostly ash) east-west but your glass stays much cleaner. I am filling the stove to some degree but definitely not packing it in there to achieve this.

How tightly do you pack the wood in the stove to achieve the overnight burns?
For overnight, I pack as tight as I can get it. I also removed the andirons so I can pack more in there.

For overnight, I pack as tight as I can get it. I also removed the andirons so I can pack more in there.

This is by no means definitive, but based on your experience and mine I would suggest the new CI2600 being sold for the 2016-2017 winter has longer burn times at the expense of black glass. I suspect the new inserts close the air off even more than the older ones to help achieve the long burn times.

@Heizer and @griam01 - how would you say your burn times compare to what JSeery described?

This is by no means definitive, but based on your experience and mine I would suggest the new CI2600 being sold for the 2016-2017 winter has longer burn times at the expense of black glass. I suspect the new inserts close the air off even more than the older ones to help achieve the long burn times.

@Heizer and @griam01 - how would you say your burn times compare to what JSeery described?

I posted my times a few posts back and I am only getting about 6 or so hours. I know others are getting longer. I wouldn't say mine is packed full but it is packed as full as I can get it with the way my wood is split. I was hoping for longer than 6 hours though.

I posted my times a few posts back and I am only getting about 6 or so hours. I know others are getting longer. I wouldn't say mine is packed full but it is packed as full as I can get it with the way my wood is split. I was hoping for longer than 6 hours though.

Fireplace Glass Cleaning, 101; 1. Protect all areas from overspray.
2. Spray Easyoff Oven Cleaner onto the fireplace glass until well coated.
3. Wait 5 to 10 minutes.
4. Wipe glass clean with paper towel, and finish cleaning with damp cloth.
5. Repeat 2 thru 4 if necessary.

I have the older insert and last year I purchased the stove equivalent. I am getting a good 9-10 hour burn time with decent heat coming out of the insert with clean glass just some black in the corners. With the stove I'm reloading every 12 hours and stove is still full of hot large coals but I do have more black on the glass, I just open the air little more I have more heat in the 12 hours still have hot coals and less blackening.

Has anyone experienced any degradation in the catalyst or decreased output? I've had the stove for a couple seasons and am wondering at what point the catalyst will start to break down. I know Condar's site indicates it should be replaced after 12000 hours, or a couple years. I haven't had any issues yet, just wondering what type of timeframe I'm looking at. This is my first insert, let alone my first experience with a catalyst.

Been actively reading this forum ever since I had my 2600 installed In December. I can confirm that while I get buildup on my glass it's only when I fully close the air down for the log burn. I do notice that when I fill with wood, usually my loads will leave a 2 inch gap on the left and right since I load pretty center. I notice this is where I get my buildup on my glass.

Also, if anyone is having any questions on their wood, I would like to suggest taking a run to your nearest Tractor Supply and grab up some 6 packs of Redstone Fuel bricks. Right now they are on sale for $3 a pack, Also they have Free Shipping, but I think due to weight you might have to make numerous purchases of Qty's of 5.

I personally love these things. They burn long and hot. I loaded up yesterday evening around 8pm about 10 bricks and 2 pieces of flat cut oak on top. After 15 hours I still had hot coals. Around midnight I took the air from 3/4 closed to as closed as it would go.

Hi all, I am trying to understand the principal of the air wash on the CI2600. Reading the manual and looking at Regency website it shows that there should be air flowing from somewhere to the front of the glass. Description below.

upload_2017-1-21_9-58-52.png

upload_2017-1-21_9-57-58.png

Does anyone know where the air should come from? When I look into the chamber it looks like there is no air input opening. It seems to be a closed chamber. Any thoughts?

Hi all, I am trying to understand the principal of the air wash on the CI2600. Reading the manual and looking at Regency website it shows that there should be air flowing from somewhere to the front of the glass. Description below.

Does anyone know where the air should come from? When I look into the chamber it looks like there is no air input opening. It seems to be a closed chamber. Any thoughts?

You can see the slot that goes the width of the insert when you open the door. It is under where the door gasket contacts the insert and above the smoke deflector.

I asked regency about the air control and was told it also controls the air wash, i.e., when you reduce the air you also reduce air wash. I think this contributes to the black glass at low air settings.

Whit the door cracked I see air rushing in here as the smoke is pushed down.

c9af01c07e23d18288d748bc57b144df.jpg

You can see the slot that goes the width of the insert when you open the door. It is under where the door gasket contacts the insert and above the smoke deflector.

I asked regency about the air control and was told it also controls the air wash, i.e., when you reduce the air you also reduce air wash. I think this contributes to the black glass at low air settings.

Whit the door cracked I see air rushing in here as the smoke is pushed down.

View attachment 193181
Yes, I know where the air for the air wash should come out, but look into that slot and see if you can find where the air would come from. From what I can see there is no inlet. If the primary air control is connected to the air wash there should be a path where the air should flow. It makes to me no sense that if you close the primary air control you would reduce the air wash. Should in my opinion be the exact opposite. You need more air for the air wash if you want to circulate air in front of the glass when choking down the primary.

I believe the air enters the stove at the bottom near the air control lever. Looking into the air wash with a flashlight I think the air comes up on both sides just behind the door.

We have an 8x8 clay flue. I would up getting 4 installation estimates. I finally found an installer who uses 5.75" dia stainless flex. It just fit. The 1/8" isn't going to matter. The online manual for the 2600 says 5.75" OR 6" dia liner. I think the difference is US instructions vs Canada. Regency is made in Canada.

We just installed ours and have dirty glass too. I cleaned it yesterday with water and a blade. Now it's dirty again. It's been unseasonably warm outside here, 40-50 and we've been burning smaller fires.

Should I clean the glass again when the units cold? It's not easy work...

Thanks Begreen for answering my questions on the other thread in October. I finally pulled the trigger and ordered my CI2600 soon thereafter and was supposed to get it installed this past Monday. I tried all the due diligence I could possibly muster to make sure the installation went without a hitch and it turned into an abysmal failure. The installer pointed out a few immediate issues concerning cutting out a heatilator that he wasn't tooled up to do. So, I said we should look over the entire job to make sure there aren't any more surprises when he returns to do the job. Then we got on the roof to look at the chimney and the liner was only 5 3/4" x 9 1/2". Obviously not possible to get a 6" liner in it. So I asked if an oval liner with the same area cross section could be used. I found a vendor online that made an oval that was 5" x 8.15" that provided 28.22" sq in (versus 28" sq in for 6" round). The sales manager called me and said Regency wont allow for any substitutes for a 6" round liner. I sent an email to Regency to inquire but haven't heard back yet. Does anyone have any input on this? I'm not an expert on airflow but I do have a bit of knowledge on this subject and can't fathom why an oval liner with a very similar air volume profile wouldn't work. If I can't use the Regency, anyone have any other suggestions? I asked another local dealer that handles Regency and he suggested I look into the Avalon but it seems they are made by Regency??

Thanks to all for your information on this thread. I'm hoping to contribute my own soon

Thanks Wolves1.
The last days I did continuous burns resulting with the same effect. The following is after last nights burn where I had the air 1/4 closed. The left corner is worse the right (viewing from the below side). I need to scrape the buildup off as you can see.
View attachment 188762

This morning I build a new fire after completely cleaning the glass (which I now am pretty good at :) ).
After 2 hrs I am getting this again, starting in the same corner and also building up on the other side. The catalyst is engaged and I have 950F.
View attachment 188761

I really have some concerns about the air-wash as this should prevent this, or not?
Anyone else experiencing this with the CI2600?

I'm also noticing that the center of the wood is burning 1st (see attached pic).

Is this normal?? The part of the wood behind the air intake is burning first. The ends of the log are intact still. IMG_3360.JPG

Last edited by a moderator: