The rise of EVs.... some data.

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Battery technology and recharging convenience are what will drive EV sales upward. There are several interesting battery technologies now being developed that could be game changers as they dramatically improve range, safety, and reduce charging time. One recent development out of China is showing an increase of 10x or more in battery capacity which can equate to smaller battery packs (less weight) with greater range.

In my experience (and I do have some such experience), papers like that have at least a decade to go before any commercial implementation happens. Lab tests like this are very different from the real world.

Nevertheless, I like the current rate with which ideas are put out there that might help resolve bottlenecks.

Yes, it takes time to go from the lab, to prototype, to building factories for mass production There are several different approaches happening right now, some of which are nearing production, and others still in the lab stage. All are better than the previous generation. The electric car of today will eventually become quaint by future standards. That has been the history of the car all along. I like GM's approach with a battery containment and charging system that is somewhat agnostic to the battery technology. It can even mix and match battery tech as it progresses.

Yes, it takes time to go from the lab, to prototype, to building factories for mass production There are several different approaches happening right now, some of which are nearing production, and others still in the lab stage. All are better than the previous generation. The electric car of today will eventually become quaint by future standards. That has been the history of the car all along. I like GM's approach with a battery containment and charging system that is somewhat agnostic to the battery technology. It can even mix and match battery tech as it progresses.
It’s the battery monitoring system that needs needs to communicate with the charger. And it’s probably all software interfaced. I have near zero expectations that my 2016 Tesla will ever have in opportunity to upgrade to new battery tech. The fact that structural packs are now being used makes pack replacement of a pack more expensive, but probably not prohibitively so. If drive trains are robust I think we will see 3rd party refurbishment of original equipment packs an option.

A replacement pack could likely cost 50% of a 6 year old cars value.

t’s the battery monitoring system that needs needs to communicate with the charger. And it’s probably all software interfaced.
Yes, and also the battery cooling system needs to be adaptable. GM took the unique (and patented) approach of a wireless communication system for the per cell battery management. This eliminates a lot of wiring and provides it with future flexibility.

One of the hearth.com members,Tom in Maine is in the hybrid battery rebuilding business.

Reactions: EbS-P