The splits are starting to pile up.

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

paul bunion

Minister of Fire
Apr 3, 2013
NJ
Getting through my rounds. Photo was Saturday evening. The pile is almost twice as big now. Even got in an hour this evening after dinner. Quite enjoyable turning 24" oak rounds into 15 or so splits each. Still looking like I'll have just under 6 cords when it is all done. I'm figuring maybe three+ in this picture and 2+ more off to the side. See how it stacks up in the end.

IMGP9525.JPG

And the after work beverage, ahhh.

IMGP9526.JPG

nice, love that oak after a few years. You talking "face" cords and not full cord? Beer looks good too!

nice, love that oak after a few years. You talking "face" cords and not full cord? Beer looks good too!
Yes oak is great. Also got beech, black birch, ash, cherry and norway in this load. Talking full cords. There is quite a bit of wood hiding there and that is only maybe 3/5 of it. The camera angle doesn't do it justice. It was a full truck load of logs. Usually works out to be just short of 6 cords as there is always wasted space on the truck with a mix of lengths on it. I unfortunately never see it on the truck.

I thought the shed was a holzhausen for a second... ;lol

Looking good.
Looks like a nice sunny day :)

Where's the milk crate ?
(Everyone who splits vertical sits on a milk crate. Tradition I think ) LOL :)

How you like the splitter? Fairly Quiet?
Is it the 12 or 16 ton Ramsplitter?

Reactions: Backwoods Savage
Looking good.
Looks like a nice sunny day :)

Where's the milk crate ?
(Everyone who splits vertical sits on a milk crate. Tradition I think ) LOL :)

How you like the splitter? Fairly Quiet?
Is it the 12 or 16 ton Ramsplitter?

Yes, sunny, the umbrella made it pleasant and it was a perfect place to hang the pulp hooks. As for sitting, a crate would have been in the way. :) When I sat I was sitting on the other 1/2 or 1/4 of the big rounds. :) I also found that using hooks let me stay pretty upright the entire time. Maybe a little flex with the knees but I really wasn't bending over or squatting down much. I will soon comment on the splitter, something needs to be taken care of first, I leave it there for now.

There's gonna be no place for the kids to play when you are done.

Reactions: BoilerMan
After looking at the "beer stump/table" a 2nd time.
Not exactly level ( that's OK :) ) & has a few skewed noodle cuts. Splitting hard?

The beer holds a nice head ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.