The way i clean my stove glass!

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Chrism

Feeling the Heat
Oct 8, 2009
Eastern PA
I've been using this since the begining of fall. Makes the glass look brand new every time . Yes you might think I'm nuts but I like the glass clean and the other stuff I used didn't work as good. I spray it on let it sit for a bit and the crap wipes off your glaa with ease!!

Attachments

• purple%20power.jpg
    purple%20power.jpg
    12.2 KB · Views: 1,405
LOL, my wife would like that. She's been obsessed with purple all her life.

Stuff is great and gets it crystal clean with not much elbow grease if any !!

See I'm cheap....and I'll give you a hot tip, no pun intended.....

Take an old newspaper sheet and soak it wet until it's dripping. Wring it out all excess water. Take over to stove, dip it into some ash inside the stove and wipe your glass clean. The ash works as a mild abrasive, gets rid of the burned on gunk. Then take an area of the paper thats still clean and wipe the streaks off from the ash....

Did I say I was cheap.....oh yea I did.......lol

Craig

Craig Its only like $3 a bottle in walmart. Your way is waaaaaay to much work. Spray it on rub it around let it sit for a bit wipe it off....done. And your way sounds messy as hell.

Awesome Orange $1 for a 1/2 gallon refill bottle makes the stuff melt off the glass , pardon the pun.

Get it at the Dollar stores.

Or Simple Green does the same thing , I use it diluted down like 10 to 1 so it works out pretty cheap also.

Same here. A couple of half sheets usually works every time. The tough stuff needs to just get a little wet, sit/soak for a minute at most and it usually whipes right off afterwards. The occational burnt on stuff requires a dip of the wet paper towel in the ash and that comes right off too. Burn dry wood and you usually only have light grey stuff to deal with anyway.

I have success with a wet paper towel. I also have used the stove glass cleaner for wood stoves. I like my glass clean. A little ash on the wet paper towel works, but something worth noting. Before my Osburn I had a Napoleon. The glass on the Napoleon did not clean with a wet paper towel and ash. I needed to use the wood stove glass cleaner. I thought it was worth noting.

Shmudda said:
See I'm cheap....and I'll give you a hot tip, no pun intended.....

Take an old newspaper sheet and soak it wet until it's dripping. Wring it out all excess water. Take over to stove, dip it into some ash inside the stove and wipe your glass clean. The ash works as a mild abrasive, gets rid of the burned on gunk. Then take an area of the paper thats still clean and wipe the streaks off from the ash....

Did I say I was cheap.....oh yea I did.......lol

Craig

I'm even cheaper . . . I use 2-3 sheets from a smaller weekly newspaper that is free at work and just get it wet and wipe . . . and I don't bother with using any ashes. Burning with seasoned wood and at the right temps = no black gunk on the window.

OK . . . so maybe it's not any cheaper . . . but it really is pretty clean and easy . . . and cheap . . . and I'm all about being cheap and easy.

In my first year or so of burning I also dipped it into the ash though . . . as I wrote earlier . . . no need to do that nowadays.

I've tried the wet news paper + ash method. Way too messy for me. I'll stick with paper towels and a little cerama-bryte.

Adios Pantalones said:
Burn hot- there's no black to worry about. Wipe the glass off with just plain water.

Takes me about 1 minute to get perfectly clean glass.

Slowing down with age?

Adios Pantalones said:
Burn hot- there's no black to worry about. Wipe the glass off with just plain water.

Pantelones what kind of stove do you have?

Adios Pantalones said:

Just water? ;) :) I seem to recall other threads where you advocated using something else . . . ;)

I have been using wet paper towels (hot water) dipped in ash to clean, then just the hot water on paper towel to clean off the ash residue. Been doing it for years. Use only 4 paper towels. How cheap is that?

One wet paper towel usually. Occasionally it takes two. I have a bottle of Purple Power, but I have no need for using on the stove glass.

To each his or her own.

Cheers

I have cleaned the glass on the Kent twice this season, just a damp rag to remove mostly fly ash. On the X33 I do it once a week when I empty the ash pan, it usually doesn't need it but it's become part of the routine.

I find that the only crud to get on my glass is usually some fly ash and some minor (in the corners) creosote. That said, a wet paper towel will take care of all of it. If i ever find a wet piece of wood, the rutland glass cleaner is my cleaner of choice.

DaFattKidd said:
Adios Pantalones said:

Pantelones what kind of stove do you have?

Hampton HI300 insert

Thanks for the tip.. is this really safe for your glass ?

Have tryed oven cleaner, ceramic stove top cleaner, Rutland glass cleaner and others which do work but, if your wood is seasoned like it should be all you need is paper towels or newspaper, water and ash.

I use some of the brown dispenser paper towels from my work place which holds together better then white store bought ones do. I just keep a small plastic bowl in the dish drainer just for the stove glass. When I come in, in the evening I catch a bit of water, pull out about two ft. of towels, lay underneath the stove door in case I drip. Submerge a towel pretty wet, dip in ash, rub the glass till all of the brown is loosened up. Then dip a new towel in the water pretty wet, start at top to kind of wash it downward, Then a dry towel to finish up and your done. Rake up the leftover coals, throw on a few splits and away you go.

In my opinion, cleaners are only needed if you've got tar black on the glass, and that means your wood isn't dry or you've snuffed the fire down to much to cause it, in which a good hot fire is a better solution then harsh cleaners. Try to get your wood seasoned properly and burn your fire hot enough not to cause the black tar and you'll be fine with no cleaners.

Again opinions are like, well, to each his own. :coolsmile:

Status
Not open for further replies.