The weather for seasoning

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

schortie

Hearth Supporter
Nov 6, 2008
michigan
Supposed to be around 80 with 40% humidity for the next coupla days. We've already had a few dry days in the 70's this week. I can almost hear my wood exhaling moisture. Love to see the wood opening up with deepening cracks. Can't wait to burn it!.

schortie said:
Supposed to be around 80 with 40% humidity for the next coupla days. I can almost hear my wood exhaling moisture.

I know what you mean. When I bring my wood into my basement in January (temp about 85-90ºF and humidity about 20-25%), it doesn't just exhale... it sings

Yeah, if we could only keep these perfect drying conditions 24/7 for three months running, we'd then be able to pack it safely in the shed until fall. Unfortunately, even in the best drying weather, the humidity is only low during the hottest part of the day. The RH hits in the upper 90% to 100% just about every night. We're all lucky to get 8-10 hours of real drying time even on the best of days. :-S

The wood drys well in the summer even with higher RH, been burning wood for over 30 years and never worried about the RH in the summer, which goes along with some of the info I have read on the internet. And yes the RH in Iowa is high.

schortie said:
Can't wait to burn it!.
HA!

Winter can wait. I ain't in no hurry for it. Unlike cake, I'd rather have it than eat (burn) it.

My wood had lower MC last Winter than it does right now. The cracks are closing up now. Mind you, when the wood is as dry on the inside as it is on the outside, the cracks are less pronounced. I never understood why people look upon deep cracks as a good sign. To me it just means it still has a long way to go.

Status
Not open for further replies.