The wood dog house

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

bayshorecs

Sep 28, 2008
Central Illinois
Built this today to store the wood soon to be burned in easy access:

pic1-2.jpg

pic2-2.jpg

pic4-2.jpg

pic5-2.jpg

pic9-1.jpg

And a PITA piece of elm to split up:

pic3-2.jpg

I give it an A for ingenuity. Open the window and boom theres the wood. I don't know about the aesthetics or practicallity with a wife. I just might have to try this!

It holds about 1/4 cord of wood. So far, it is working out pretty nice. I plan to paint it and have the wife use it in the summer for storing the outside chair cushions.

Clever, good idea. But be careful when stacking, don't let one get away from you and take out a pane of glass. Boy, that's going to be nice and convenient this winter, though- you don't even have to go outside on those bad days. Way cool!

I have been watching the glass and hope I don't have an accident! Worked nice last night. I got up a couple times in the middle of the night to add a log or 2 on the fire and didn't have to go outside. Plus, I don't need to keep any wood inside so all of the bugs stay outside.

Thats a good idea. Looks great and seems to make things quite efficient. I love all the stuff that people do here and show pics...get some really good tips and idea here.
Thanks for sharing.

It was cheap too. I used scrap boards from Menards which cost me $.29 per board. Total cost was $20 to build it. If I had a truck to carry boards larger than 4', I might have been able to make it a little cheaper, but I am not complaining!

Don't have to get dressed, freeze outside looking for wood, flashlight, carrying wood through the entire house, etc. Wood stays outside and stays dry. Reload it every 3-4 days I am guessing.

Only complaint so far from the wife is that she is too short to reach the splits towards the back of the dog house. I gave her a foot stool! LOL

Sweeet Good thinking!

Nice.

I'd have to protect the glass pane from breaking. No maybe for me, just when.
I'd have to keep the curtain closed too, so no one would see any wildlife hunting.

That is a sweet setup.. Don`t break that glass though--otherwise you might find yourself in the "doghouse". :lol:

bayshorecs said:
...have the wife use it in the summer for storing the outside chair cushions.

Not sure I understand this part of the multi-use plan. Wouldn't the time to be storing the outside chair cushions be the same time to be using this as the ready service firewood locker? Or do you sit outside while you're burning inside? You might have to build something else for the chair cushions. ;-P Rick

a window with a view, how nice! Not sure most people would feel the same, but the people around here might, lol.

Ahh...now it all becomes clear to me. You're married to a very organized woman. I'm lucky if I go out the morning after an overnight snowfall to find the sunroof on my wife's car was shut. %-P Rick

BTW, the framing for the door should really be on the underside, shouldn't it? I mean, i understand maximizing space underneath, but there are a bunch of places for water to catch up in there and sit. So, as is, I predict one of two things. 1. Moss/mildew/mold buildup on it (if it's treated wood) or 2. Rotting wood in a year (if it's not treated wood)

I plan to paint it to help with the water issue. With the materials I had, I had to install the door that way to get it to close properly. Most of the structure is under the overhang, so if anything rots, it will be about $5 worth of wood on the door. I would pay $5 per season if I had to.

Status
Not open for further replies.