Thermastat relocation after pellet stove install??

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

fazzer

May 26, 2008
northeast PA
I just had a pellet stove installed in the living room of my raised ranch home. The thermastat is also located in the living room. My problem is that my finished basement will not be heated now because the pellet stove will keep it nice and warm not allowing the thermastat to call for heat down stairs. I have only 1 thermastat which circulates the oil fired boiler from down stairs to up stairs on one zone. I was thinking of moving the thermastat to the finished lower level to heat down there, or just use a Delonghi space heater ( not purchased yet, still reviewing) to heat down stairs. The lower level is insulated and drywalled with a non heated garge down below. Im looking at keeping the lower just tolerable enough to be in. How cold will it get without running the oil fired boiler? Any other sugestions would help. Im about all taped out for cash after pellet stove install, so rezoning is out of the question. THANKS FOR ANSWERS IN ADVANCE!!

Yeah, that thermostat isn't going to be much good located next to the pellet burner. But basements tend to be relatively steady heat losers relative to outside temperature. Maybe move the stat back towards the bedrooms? That way, if the stove is really cranking or goes out, the boiler will still be under control.

Most basements tend to settle out in the 50-55 degree range if you don't add any heat. You might find that a little space heat may be enough to warm it up, but I'll bet that everyone will be UPstairs near the stove!

Chris

Status
Not open for further replies.