Thermometer placement

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

shellyC

Nov 7, 2008
Western MA
I have a Morso 1125 (the one with a sloped face above the door), and I was wondering where to place the thermometer to get an accurate reading of the firebox temp: on the sloped surface,? on the top (horizontal) surface of the stove? on the stovepipe? From posts on heart.com, I gathered that the optimum temp for a wood burning stove is between 500-600 degrees with a max of about 700 or thereabouts. Is this correct? And where on the stove is the most accurate spot for getting the reading, whatever it is. Thanks.
Shelly

Boy that stove has such a large bonnet/plenum I dunno. Peeps in the know had me put a thermometer on the top of the stove over the door with our QF4300 and things have been running smooth ever since.

I agree with your understanding of operating temps that's like perfect imo...just hang in there someone with your same stove will check i and give you the skinny. Good luck shelly

Can't help you with therm. placement as I have never seen your model. Mostly what is recommended around here is stove top surface. I have an insert which means I have to use an IR therm. because I can't access the top.

Different stoves have different operating temps. The operating temps. of our old insert were a lot lower than our current insert. THe temps. I get now on a regular basis, 650-750*, would have scared the beegeebees right out of me with our old set up. Check your manual to see if it specifies optimum temps. 500-600 sounds pretty good though. Check your glass. If it is staying clean chances are you are burning hot enough.

The issue of temps on stoves is dependant on models, as others stated. I focus more on stack temperatures, as that is what tells me about how well the wood is burning now, and if I have a cool flue temp that is more likely to condense creosote. Soapstone stove users, and those with enameled stoves, for example, watch stove temps to keep from damaging surfaces. My cast/steel Jotul insert is happy at quite high temps compared to most (700*F), but many large steel stove users seem to run in the 450-600 range. If I were running a stove (not an insert as I have now) I would use a flue probe thermometer, and focus on flue temps, as they tell me more about how I am burning. If you want stove temp, look for a spot on the stove where the steel is in direct contact with exhaust gasses, closest to the flue exit - that is where the problem lies, as many stoves have a step-up jacket there to allow for air to be heated.

Post us a pic and we may be able to guide you better.

Thanks to all for response. Attached are a couple of shots of the Moreso as requested. The top of the stove, if not readily apparent is about 6" x 18", and the height of the stove pipe from the stove exit to the flue entry is about a foot. The thermometer I have is the small, circular magnetic type so I can place it just about anywhere. Happy New Year.
Sheldon

Attachments

• P1020176 (2).JPG
    P1020176 (2).JPG
    100.4 KB · Views: 598
  • P1020178 (3).JPG
    P1020178 (3).JPG
    114.9 KB · Views: 975
Status
Not open for further replies.