Thermostat Differential For Circ Pumps Only

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

velvetfoot

Minister of Fire
Hearth Supporter
Dec 5, 2005
Sand Lake, NY
I currently have a .5*F thermostat differential on my baseboard emitter, pellet/oil boiler fed, buffer tank equipped system. So, at a setpoint of 68, the zone circ comes on at 67.5 and shuts off at 68.5. The boilers don't come on and off because of the buffer tank. Running on tank, before a boiler comes on, it gets down to may 130.

I'm thinking of increasing the differential to 1*F, so that a zone circ will come on at 67 and turn off at 69. I'm wondering about the pluses and minuses of doing this.

Pluses:
Pump cycles less. (It is an ECM pump, so maybe not that much of a factor?)
Less getting rid of the cooled water from the pipes

Minuses:
Not as comfortable as .5*F, maybe leading to messing with the thermostat setting

I'm stuck with whatever comes out of the boiler or tank-no mixing on distribution.

On most HVAC systems, is a 1*F differential the norm?

Comments?

I think I need to make a correction. With a 1 degree differential at a setpoint of 68, it seems to come on at 67 and go off at 68. Looking at the thermostat spreadsheet, which acquires data every 5 minutes, there might be some inertia, but I don't know if this thermostat takes that into account.