Thermostat Setback Value - Revisited Yet Again...

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

KenLockett

Minister of Fire
Dec 27, 2011
Eastern Upstate NY
Okay, so I know this topic has been discussed a thousand times but does anyone know an easily quantifiable method of determining whether scheduling a zone thermostat setback from say 68 to 66 in the evening really reduces wood consumption by that much (and actually how much in lbs) versus say no setback in the evening. This constantly nags me when during colder temps it seems to take so long in the morning to bring temps back up those 2 degrees. Here are a set of conditions for consideration:

Evening outdoor temperature: 0 DegF
Wood Consumption - Setback at 10:00PM from 68 DegF to 66 DegF with Set-Forward to 68 DegF from 66 DegF at 8:00 AM: ???? (Note: Of course my 'smart' thermostat has this 'recovery' mode where only God knows when it starts calling for additional heating to ensure my indoor temp at 8:00 AM is at 68 DegF. Been wanting to disable this function. For purposes of analysis assume disabled)

Wood Consumption - No Setback what so ever, essentially setting at 68 DegF during day and evening: ????

Baseboard capacity in the evening (in the specific zone in question): 36,576 BTU/HR (Based upon 72' foot of baseboard at 508 (BTU/Hr)/Ft for 190 Deg Water)

Heating Losses based upon insulation of the envelope: Don't know exact loss rate but assume some constant for drafty older house with good insulation and windows but could be better

Any other information necessary?

Any thoughts on above consideration?

Status
Not open for further replies.