Thermostat

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

msteeves

Nov 29, 2014
Maine
I purchased a King Pellet Stove 5502m from Tractor Supply 6 weeks ago. It is running well, but I want to install a thermostat. I do not know which thermostat to buy or where to buy it. I have a friend that does electrician work and he will install it.

If your stove supports a thermostat any one that supports millivolt devices will do. It will either say on the box or in the directions. I have a Hunter 7 day programmable. Most thermostat manufacturers make one or more models that will work.
Ron

Before you buy one, do some research on line and read the instructions, which are given on both Home Depot and Lowes. Look for something called 'swing', which allows you to adjust the temperature swing before the stove will turn on or off. For instance, with a swing of 2 degrees and a set point of 70, the stove will run until 72 and then shut off until 68. This is a personal preference that you and the 'boss' will agree upon. It's advantage is that your ignition system will go through fewer start sequences and extend its life.
IRRC Honeywell's don't have this feature. My elcheapo Ritetemp does and has worked flawlessly for going on 5 years. Others will chime in but you don't need to spend a fortune. All you are doing is closing a contact to tell the stove to turn on. All the rest is bells and whistles and ego building. :)

Reactions: Andi1960
Status
Not open for further replies.