These guys holding my wood hostage

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

redyute

Feeling the Heat
Dec 4, 2015
southern maryland
Ok so i have started stacking my wood off the found and figured i'd build a shed around it when it cools down but all of a sudden there are those flying things that has moved in to the oak tree next to my pile not allowing me to stack.I ideas would be greatly appreciated, i need to get rid of them. I have no idea what they are but they are huge.
bug1.jpg
sorry about the crappy pics i wasn't trying to get to close
bug2.jpg

This the tree they have now made their home. Was about to build me a 12x12 shed right over the pile i have started stacking.
10.jpg

Wait until night when they gather home and spray the hole and cover with dirt immediately. Normally a little starter fluid and lighter in the hole works great, wouldn't recommend that here lol

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Wait until night when they gather home and spray the hole and cover with dirt immediately. Normally a little starter fluid and lighter in the hole works great, wouldn't recommend that here lol

Lol the thing is they are about 2 or 3 feet off the ground in the bark of the tree, i was thinking about setting the tree on fire lol its gonna get cut anyway but that would mean pouring gasoline on the bark. My garden hose reaches close enough just in case. Thinking i might try wasp spray and see how that works

I'd try plugging the hole at night if possible

Foam insulation spray

look like wasps
probably yellowjackets
one kind can be aggressive

I had some in the ground the year I put landscape timbers down.
I also had some in the house wall for three years, a new nest in a new place every year. The last year I hung a electric bug zapper up near their entrance hole and they attacked it. The grids were completely clogged with zapped wasps.
I also had a nest under a 15 inch pot with a plant in it but some animal came, dug it all up and ate them or revenge kill, before I got to flooding the hole with wasp killer at night.

In a tree is probably a good sign the tree is not sound inside and should come down in a controlled fashion rather than wait for a storm if there are things around it that could be damaged.
The colony population explodes in the Fall.
When the grapes are getting peak they cut little slits in the grapes to get at the fruit. I have to pick then or there will be none for me.
September they can be annoying looking for sugar.

I just got rid of some European hornets at my house

Buy a case of the wasp and hornet jet spray, go out in the evening wait for them to huddle up by the tree and then let them have it. You have to walk in and empty the can on them or they will fly off. Wear good shoes so you can run away if needed...

Thanks for the tips guys, imma go get some spray and see how i can get my wood back from those critters. Probably pick up some of that sevin dust to, double up on them

LMAO really?. Got some wasp and hornet spray from lowes and gave them a dose, got them all except for 1 he got away, imma go back later see if he comes back so i can nook him lol. I got my wood pile back lol

I've talked to some pro exterminators over the years. They've always told me that the wasp & hornet spray is good for killing a small, totally exposed nest, but the big ones in the ground or deep in trees do best with dusts/powders. The w&h sprays are sometimes used to kill the guardians at the entrance/exit before applying the dust. The dust granules are so small that they spread out everywhere after being carried deep into the nest, killing everything. Very effective.

The last few yellow jacket nests I've had in the ground took one application of Sevin. Dead and done.

Sevin, aka carbaryl, is what you want. They will track it into the nest. Garden and farm stores should have it. The orange and blue stores might.

I'm guessing it's probably a European hornet. They were accidentally introduced to the US in the 19th century, have the classic yellow and black stripes, and are pretty large.

Reactions: TreePointer
I've talked to some pro exterminators over the years. They've always told me that the wasp & hornet spray is good for killing a small, totally exposed nest, but the big ones in the ground or deep in trees do best with dusts/powders. The w&h sprays are sometimes used to kill the guardians at the entrance/exit before applying the dust. The dust granules are so small that they spread out everywhere after being carried deep into the nest, killing everything. Very effective.

The last few yellow jacket nests I've had in the ground took one application of Sevin. Dead and done.

Good points.

I love killing the ground nests with gasoline and fire. So rewarding.

It was a small nest like maybe 12 or so, i saw the sevin powder at lowes but i wasn't trying to get that close to them so i opted for the spray