theventinguy?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
If there is an issue with shipping, warranty or performance who ya gonna call, theeventguy? I would by from a reputable source that sells a good product and stands behind it.

I got my liner from him 6 years ago - his name is Richard Curtis, based in NH. I honestly can't remember the liner brand, but I remember checking it out online and seemed of good quality. Price and service was good, delivery prompt. My only caveat would be, he used to have an ebay store and now he no longer does, so I wonder why that is the case.

BTW, he was very helpful when I suggested I might get a liner that was slightly short and extend my stove pipe up past the smoke shelf when putting the stove in my fireplace.

RC:
"Black stove pipe is not really allowed inside the smoke chamber. It doesn't hold up and tends to rot out and people don't know because they don't check it. Inside the chimney should be stainless only. If you could bring the flex through the damper a little and then connect, that would be OK. Inside the flue is damp and black pipe just won't work, I've seen it many times. On the top of the chimney you'll only need enough flex to be inside the collar of the top plate so you can tighten the clamp then the cap will go down over that. I'd have to advise against using the black pipe inside the chimney. Are you going to insulate it at all? If there is no clay liner in there then you need to insulate it or it'll be against code and considered dangerous. If you had a fire you probably wouldn't be covered if it's installed wrong."

He gave me the kind of good advice I've come to find in these forums.

thanks for that info bb. did you discuss warranty with him?

Yes, there was a warranty from the manufacturer that came with the liner when it shipped (a warranty now buried somewhere in my files... or in my case, piles).

My impression is that he was a guy who used to do installs but now just acted as a middleman, getting liners at wholesale and making a small markup by selling to DIY guys. I believe he never even stocked the liners, but simply took the orders (and payment via paypal) and had them shipped direct from the manufacturer. The turnaround was quick, as I recalll... only a day or two.

Status
Not open for further replies.