They make wussy trucks nowadays

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Mine has exhaust valves, and I suspect yours may be the same, that’s one of the more recent techs used to expand the power and torque curve. Basic theory in a few sentences, is that you need free-flowing exhaust to build big hp, because that can only happen at high rpm, when the engine needs to move a large amount of air volume. But those free-flowing exhaust systems rob you of all your low-end torque, and most of your street driving is at these lower rpms. The latest solution is to install exhaust valves, which close down at low rpm, and open wide as the motor spools up. This allows big hp at the track, without sacrificing street torque, and also keeps the noise at a relatively acceptable level on the street.

This is why those videos are labeled “cold start” or “warm start”, the car only opens the valves wide to start when the car is cold. Starting my car will shake the house and scare the crap out of my kids, when it is cold in the winter. It is simply ear-splitting loud when cold. In the summer, not so much. It’s all in the exhaust valve programming.

Free flowing exhaust doesn't rob you of torque, that's a primary exhaust runner length and diameter function followed by intake runner lengh and diameter. The exhaust valve you refer to is a volume button on a modern car. My wife's car has no mufflers, but so long as you don't sacrifice any volume, a muffler wouldn't decrease the power. Generally by the time the exhaust has made it to the muffler it has lost a ton of energy and the muffler is no longer a restriction. My Challenger gained no power from the Corsa exhaust, but it sounded amazing and didn't drone on the freeway. The Kooks custom long tube headers are what made the power, at the loss of a bit of low end torque.

Most cars come from the factory with extremely short exhaust runners, if any at all (cast in manifolds). Some cars even come with tubular manifolds, but those are almost always quite short as well. These short runners make loads of torque, but cripple top end HP. Going with long runners won't kill your bottom end torque entirely and the gain in top end power is well worth it. Generally long runners on either side of the engine are expensive, difficult to package, and difficult to mass produce and that's why you don't see them in the vast majority of production engines.

Never tired one, but the aftermarket backup camera systems aren't very expensive...

I put one on my Tundra, works very well.
AUTO-VOX Dual Video Inputs 4.3"
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00J863EI2/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_CPusBbZ3GVDRN

?res=1024.jpgimg_20180430_202507-jpg.jpg

Last edited by a moderator: