Zjacobs4 Posted By Zjacobs4, Nov 5, 2018 at 4:18 PM

1. Zjacobs4

Zjacobs4
    New Member 2.
    NULL

Nov 5, 2018
    Loc:
    Baltimore
    I’m purchasing a used quadrafire mt Vernon stove off Craigslist and I’ve been researching how to properly install the stove. I plan on putting it in my basement. The basement is finished and the drywall is about 4 inches from block etc and the total distance to the outside is probably about 12-18 inches (rough estimate). The wall thimble appear to only accommodate up to about 8 inches in length. Any tips for installation would be greatly appreciated.

2. MikeWard

MikeWard
    New Member 2.
    NULL

Nov 1, 2018
    Loc:
    Poplar Ridge NY
    I extended my thimble with a piece of aluminum coil and sheat metal screw wrapped the seam in 3M HVAC tape thimble is now seamless

3. JRemington

JRemington
    Feeling the Heat 2.
    NULL

Nov 4, 2017
    Loc:
    Belleville New York
    You can buy a 1 ft piece of 8 in stove pipe and cut it to length

4. zrock

zrock
    Feeling the Heat 2.
    NULL

Dec 2, 2017
    Loc:
    bc
    Do u even need a thymbal with concrete?

Sent from my SM-G903W using Tapatalk

5. rich2500

rich2500
    Minister of Fire 2.
    NULL

Nov 19, 2005
    Loc:
    Berks County PA.
    How about just using the inner half of the thimble cut down to the 4 " to pass through the drywall then the pipe directly through the block, this way you don't have to cut such a big hole in the block.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
    StickPick73 likes this.
  6. StickPick73

StickPick73
    Member 2.
    NULL

Sep 30, 2015
    Loc:
    Eau Claire, WI
    This is kind of how I handled the same dilemma. My thimble was two pieces that twist together. I took the rivets out of the square plate on one of the pieces, twisted this into the thimble/plate of the other piece and used that in the interior to clear the combustibles - it went a couple inches into the hole in the concrete. I caulked the seam in the concrete hole where the round thimble met the concrete (high temp caulk). The remainder of the hole in the slab is just bare concrete - I used the plate I took off the thimble for the outside wall, that way the holes in the plates line up nicely for the stove pipe. Worked like a charm!