Thimble install

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

metarzan

Jan 17, 2009
west md
My project requires a thimble through a 2 x 4 wall, with studs 16 O.C. Dealer/installer I spoke with today said the thimble MUST penetrate a sheet of DUROCK. In order to set DUROCK, studs will have to be notched 1/2 inch, such that finish drywall will be flush with existing surface. From what I have read on the subject, the dealer is not quite correct.

I think that some framing on the studs may be required, but find no information vis a vis google search that addresses the thimble issue.

Any help suggestions?

If i understand you, you are looking to surround your thimble with durock and also sheetrock?

The more common option is to just use durock and plaster it to match the surrounding (18 inches away from single wall pipe) sheet rock.

Even firerock cannot be within that minimum distance of single wall pipe as its kraft paper is flammable (as strange as that seems).

pen

For example, for this thimble install to be legit and look like this, 18 inches in all directions from that crock there must be NO combustibles.

To make it look like it is sheetrock, you could use durock for the 18inches around it (say 3/8 in) then use 1/8in plaster to match up with the 1/2 in sheet rock all around.

W_Wayne_Robertson-4.jpg

pen

I would rather not use durock. The thimble seems most mysterious. I would prefer to meet NFPA 211 standard. I am unable to find a reference to the standard. This makes me think: "Follow the manufactures direction" takes precedence.

Class A metal chimney or masonry ?

No durock needed. You'll need a 12"x12" opening in the wall. I left the 14 1/2" between the studs and put a horizontal 2x4 top and bottom of the cutout.
See any of the pipe manufacturer's websites for more install planning info. (Selkirk, Simpson, etc.)
You may need some wall protection behind the stove, from the floor up, depending on the clearances your particular stove requires.

See my whole through-the-wall install here: http://s388.photobucket.com/albums/oo329/BrianVT16/Chimney/

26.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.