Thimble Insulation or No ?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

stevesstove

May 2, 2018
Northern Indiana
Wondering who all out there did or did not use thimble insulation and why. On my particular set up the instruction say optional so I am contemplating. I hate these decisions! Input helpful

Attachments

• IMG_0416.jpg
    IMG_0416.jpg
    136.6 KB · Views: 228
  • IMG_0447.jpg
    IMG_0447.jpg
    132.7 KB · Views: 351
  • IMG_0448.jpg
    IMG_0448.jpg
    119.1 KB · Views: 227
i dont think you should pack insulation around the class a pipe, that outer ring is there to keep clearances.

If the manufacturer allows then yes, for sure. Is that Selkirk?

It's Hart & Cooley, they sell the insulation and allow it for wall thimbles.

It's Hart & Cooley, they sell the insulation and allow it for wall thimbles.
Correct. We use it all the time, it’s a nice option. I’m pretty certain it’s simply fiberglass insulation though.

The tech support at Hart and Cooley told me that you can use their insulation (TLCSI), or other line JUSI ( (Supervent brand) and SUSI (Seilkirk brand) will all work... However, one of the technicians recommended using insulation and the other did not so that's why I am asking who all used this stuff. . . I don't think its regular fiberglass though because its real dark like rock wool.

The tech support at Hart and Cooley told me that you can use their insulation (TLCSI), or other line JUSI ( (Supervent brand) and SUSI (Seilkirk brand) will all work... However, one of the technicians recommended using insulation and the other did not so that's why I am asking who all used this stuff. . . I don't think its regular fiberglass though because its real dark like rock wool.
prolly mineral wool

I use it all the time. Other than the color, it looks and feels just like fiberglass.

The instructions say it gives added extra heat protection as well as prevents air intrusion and condensation when not burning. I put it in my cathedral ceiling support box but have not burned the stove as of yet. Expensive stuff so it better work in some way!