Thimble question

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

thebearded1

Dec 4, 2018
Southern Maryland
I feel like I already know this is bad news but here goes. I have a thimble in my wall that I guess is a clay tube or cement tube. When I cut away the drywall to see what was around it I found brick about an inch behind the drywall and on either side of the brick they have 2x4 wood studs right up against the brick. This isn't safe is it? Right now I have a Woodstock Palladian hooked up to it with single wall pipe going to a t connector then insulated flexible ss liner through the chimney. In the photos below the pencil marks indicate where the brick stops and the 2x4 starts.

Assuming that its not safe what are my options to remedy the situation?
Thimble question
Thimble question

I feel like I already know this is bad news but here goes. I have a thimble in my wall that I guess is a clay tube or cement tube. When I cut away the drywall to see what was around it I found brick about an inch behind the drywall and on either side of the brick they have 2x4 wood studs right up against the brick. This isn't safe is it? Right now I have a Woodstock Palladian hooked up to it with single wall pipe going to a t connector then insulated flexible ss liner through the chimney. In the photos below the pencil marks indicate where the brick stops and the 2x4 starts.

Assuming that its not safe what are my options to remedy the situation?View attachment 239040View attachment 239041
No it is not safe at all. The drywall can't be there and you would need 12" of solid masonry surrounding that crock to be safe. Your easiest option is to go with a ul listed wall pass through. Also called an insulated wall thimble.

Thats what I was afraid of. So I have found the Safe-T thimble at Rockford. The installation manual states "A one inch clearance is held around the periphery of the back plate by the built in spacers. The framing members abutt these spacers." and shows the attached photo below of the Safe T thimble being framed with what I assume is 2x4s as they do not state anything else. Luckily those studs in my wall are 16" apart so this should fit in-between them and have proper clearance. Does this look like what I would need for my situation?
Thanks

Thimble question

Thats what I was afraid of. So I have found the Safe-T thimble at Rockford. The installation manual states "A one inch clearance is held around the periphery of the back plate by the built in spacers. The framing members abutt these spacers." and shows the attached photo below of the Safe T thimble being framed with what I assume is 2x4s as they do not state anything else. Luckily those studs in my wall are 16" apart so this should fit in-between them and have proper clearance. Does this look like what I would need for my situation?
Thanks

View attachment 239046
Yes safe t thimble works well and has been around for a long time they were one of the first on the market. Personally I prefer the one made by Olympia I just find it allot easier to work with.

Is this the one by Olympia you are referring to? I saw that one as well but my concern was it is for wall thickness of 5-14" and I doubt my wall is at least 5" thick where as the Safe T thimble can go down to 4". What makes the Olympia one easier to install? I assume with either of them I will have to tear out the brick thimble that is in the wall back to the actual chimney right?

Is this the one by Olympia you are referring to? I saw that one as well but my concern was it is for wall thickness of 5-14" and I doubt my wall is at least 5" thick where as the Safe T thimble can go down to 4". What makes the Olympia one easier to install? I assume with either of them I will have to tear out the brick thimble that is in the wall back to the actual chimney right?
Yes that's it. It is easily adjustable and bolts directly to the chimney. Like I said the other ones work fine I just prefer that one

Yes that's it. It is easily adjustable and bolts directly to the chimney. Like I said the other ones work fine I just prefer that one

I see what you mean with the Olympia one you just line it up to the existing flue hole in the chimney and don't have to get the framing exactly in the right place because it is only there to attach the new drywall too. After reading through the installation guide, am I seeing correctly that the round thimble will stick past the edge of the drywall and the dry wall CAN go against this thimble?