Thin Brick Hearth

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

NateH

Nov 19, 2013
Pennsylvania
I have many questions about my hearth/stove install that will be taking place shortly... but for now, Thin Brick or a reclaimed thin brick on top of a scratch coat on top of Durock--is this an acceptable back-drop for the hearth? I bought a Jotul Oslo 500 stove last year and I know I don't need more than ember protection for the base (prob going to use something like Blue Stone for that anyway). The existing fireplace is no longer in use, and was plastered over sometime in the past. I plan on framing it out, and going with 1/2" Durock then the Thin Brick.

I did a search and only found one thread from 2016 regarding Thin Brick, and in that thread someone attached a link but from what I could see there was nothing covering fireplace/hearth installations --and it only dealt with exterior Thin Brick applications.

Any help or advice would be greatly appreciated as I'd like to order my hearth material this weekend so I can get started shortly... and if anyone out there has used said materials, and can share their experience I would be grateful for the shared knowledge.

Thanks!

I have many questions about my hearth/stove install that will be taking place shortly... but for now, Thin Brick or a reclaimed thin brick on top of a scratch coat on top of Durock--is this an acceptable back-drop for the hearth? I bought a Jotul Oslo 500 stove last year and I know I don't need more than ember protection for the base (prob going to use something like Blue Stone for that anyway). The existing fireplace is no longer in use, and was plastered over sometime in the past. I plan on framing it out, and going with 1/2" Durock then the Thin Brick.

I did a search and only found one thread from 2016 regarding Thin Brick, and in that thread someone attached a link but from what I could see there was nothing covering fireplace/hearth installations --and it only dealt with exterior Thin Brick applications.

Any help or advice would be greatly appreciated as I'd like to order my hearth material this weekend so I can get started shortly... and if anyone out there has used said materials, and can share their experience I would be grateful for the shared knowledge.

Thanks!
I used the reclaimed thin brick and put it directly over the existing (ugly) brick that was there. Thin bricks are light weight and with S type mortar it stuck right to the scratch coat that was applied to the existing brick. The reclaimed is expensive, easy to cut, (somewhat brittle) and none of the shapes are uniform. Laying a design out prior to applying is a good idea. I preferred the look without the mortar joint but that might make the unequal shapes blend a little better..?