Thin set

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

blel

Feeling the Heat
Jun 6, 2008
Southeast CT
Can thin set be used to skim coat a vented Durock wall shield? No tile, just thin set surface, maybe painted with high temp paint.
Does the mesh tape count as a combustible surface?

Well the mesh tape is usually fiberglass, I wouldn't think it would count as a combustible surface..

So are you trying to make it look like stucco or something? I suppose it would work?

The mesh is fiberglass. As long as you skim coat the durock with a non-combustible coating it should be fine. I would add a small caveat. Stove areas tend to be a bit more dirty and dusty. A smooth surface is so much easier to keep clean over time than a rough, textured surface.

That was another good question which I was wondering about. Thanks for asking it.

I have an additional question...
Whice of these medium's (Stucco? Cement? Mortar?) do you feel is a good application to a steel studded, Durock covered clearance wall?
I'm looking for good heat protection and something which I can work Southwestern Petroglyph imprints into.

Tina

blel said:
Can thin set be used to skim coat a vented Durock wall shield? No tile, just thin set surface, maybe painted with high temp paint.

Thin set is basically a portland cement and sand mix with admixtures to allow greater flexibility, workability, and great adhesion properties. Set time is also longer.
Tiles used to be set with just a portland/sand mix which was a strong and suitable mix but didn't allow much of a window for working time.
You can skim with it and although the cost will be more for the mix it is easier to skim with and not as fickle to cure as straight mortar. Make sure though that it is in fact thinset with the admixture already in it - some need to be mixed with the liquid admix if the dry mix is just portland and sand - read the instructions to clarify.
Skim when you don't plan on heating with the stove and keep it damp while it cures. Mist with a plant sprayer.

TinasArk said:
That was another good question which I was wondering about. Thanks for asking it.

I have an additional question...
Whice of these medium's (Stucco? Cement? Mortar?) do you feel is a good application to a steel studded, Durock covered clearance wall?
I'm looking for good heat protection and something which I can work Southwestern Petroglyph imprints into.

Tina

How about a nice Zia, or an Ojo de Dios looking design set with ceramic/mosaic tile on your Durock? (yes, I'm a Lobo ;-) ) Rick

OHH...a Zia would be cool too Rick!

So is that your polite way of saying to cover the medium of choice with something as opposed to leaving it looking like a part of my regular wall?

Just a thought. I'm no interior designer, as my wife will verify. I do, however try to be polite. Rick

Thin set is kinda nasty stuff to leave as a finished product. If you add some sand and portland to it you would have a mix that would be stickybut also workable.

I think that if I had a vertical sheet of Durock that I wasn't gonna set tile or something on, but I didn't like the way it looked "raw", I'd do the same thing I've done with interior concrete block walls...skim it with joint compound. Takes a few coats over the course of a few days, with sanding between coats, but comes out perfectly smooth and ready for prime & paint or whatever. Rick

fossil said:
skim it with joint compound. Takes a few coats over the course of a few days, with sanding between coats, but comes out perfectly smooth and ready for prime & paint or whatever. Rick

Rick, any special type of joint compund (i.e., fire rated?).
And the paint...fire rated as well, right? This is my Non Combustible Wall I'm talking about. ;-P

blel said:

Make sure you don't use the "thinset" in a bucket. I made this mistake once...

TinasArk said:
fossil said:
skim it with joint compound. Takes a few coats over the course of a few days, with sanding between coats, but comes out perfectly smooth and ready for prime & paint or whatever. Rick

Rick, any special type of joint compund (i.e., fire rated?).
And the paint...fire rated as well, right? This is my Non Combustible Wall I'm talking about. ;-P

It's the paper coating on both sides of drywall that's the combustible. Joint compound is not. Rick

YAY! A simple, clear answer. Love those ones.
I just needed to make sure that no lingering fumes or lasting chemicals
in the compound or paint cause the wall to go up in flames!

Thanks Again fossil Rick

Status
Not open for further replies.