Thinking about a blaze king

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Dustin

Minister of Fire
Sep 3, 2008
Western Oregon
So, I have been running my quad 4100i for three years now. I don't really care much for it.

I'm a soft wood burner, mostly Doug fir and alder.

I can get 8 hour or so out of the quad. The issue is, wood is my only source of heat. I live in an older, leaky home with the only back up being electric base board heating.

For an experiment last winter, I shut the stove down and run just the electric heat for three weeks. My electric bill, usually 75 bucks in the winter jumped to 170!!

This year, my lady is living with me. But we both work during the day, I'm going to need to burn 24/7 during the winter, no more cold house.

If I'm using wood as my true only heat, and plan on staying here two more years, will the bk be worth it? I really want to be able to set it and forget it, something I can't do with the quad...

I'm heating about 1500 square feet downstairs, we don't use our up stairs so that's closed off, "another 1000 square feet there

Sounds like a BK would be a good fit but if your only going to be there a couple more years it may not be worth the cost. You can always take the BK with you when you move and reinstall the Quad.

Reactions: PapaDave
Sounds like a BK would be a good fit but if your only going to be there a couple more years it may not be worth the cost. You can always take the BK with you when you move and reinstall the Quad.
Todd I seem to remember you using 2 Woodstock stoves but I see you now have a BK stove.. Wondering why you made the switch and if you think the BK is better..

Ray

Todd I seem to remember you using 2 Woodstock stoves but I see you now have a BK stove.. Wondering why you made the switch and if you think the BK is better..

Ray

I did some remodeling and added 200 more sq ft with lots of windows so I decided to try a larger stove. The new Woodstock was tempting but decided on the BK for the longer burn times. I like the fact that I can load it up once per day burn it low and slow and burn my Keystone on colder days as needed. Both Companies sell a great product and it all depends on what your needs and wants are, I wouldn't say one is better than the other.

I did some remodeling and added 200 more sq ft with lots of windows so I decided to try a larger stove. The new Woodstock was tempting but decided on the BK for the longer burn times. I like the fact that I can load it up once per day burn it low and slow and burn my Keystone on colder days as needed. Both Companies sell a great product and it all depends on what your needs and wants are, I wouldn't say one is better than the other.
I can see where the crazy long burn times would be great in the milder weather with low BTU output. I do wonder how well the PH would perform in a long low burn situation. The PH certainly can crank out the BTU's when you need them and the stove looks awesome! The secondary burns on the PH are incredible to watch..

Ray

Status
Not open for further replies.