Thinking about a Timberline..

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

GrouseGunner

Mar 6, 2022
Northern Michigan
Hi Guys, this is sort of a long story but here it goes. I live full time in a small 1040's built log cabin. I have Waterford propane stove in the corner of the house for heat and with rising costs I am considering something to offset supplement heating costs as I have very good access to wood. I do not want to replace the waterford unit as I like the flexibility of being able to leave anytime and come back and it still be warm.

Anyhow my issue is that I currently have a beautiful stone open hearth fireplace in good working order and I really hate to not have that anymore because I love having the open hearth in the shoulder seasons when it doesnt matter so much that it is inefficient. I am a relatively strong young man and my question is.. is there a unit out there that I could buy that I would be able to remove in the spring each year relatively easy (read by myself) and reinstall in the 4 coldest winter months: December-March. I know it seems like a huge hastle but it would be worth the time for me to move the unit to my garage each season if it meant I could still have fires like the one pictured below the other 8 months of the year..

I know someone will probably suggest an insert and just leaving it installed, however I do not like the aesthetics of an insert. I actually have a Hearthstone Clydesdale sitting in the garage that I removed when I moved in. It weighs 500 pounds so moving it in and out is not an option obviously. I thought maybe a timberline unit would be good?

Thanks for reading my post!

Screen Shot 2022-03-06 at 5.53.56 PM.png

No not really. Im not the install guy around here, but from my limited knowledge, to install a stove in a open fireplace like this, you would need to line the chimney, which I think would make the fireplace un usable when the stove isnt in there.

Already answered in the other posting.

Reactions: D. Hermit