Thinking about getting a new stove

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Wallace

Oct 8, 2011
Prescott, AZ
I've had a Jotul F500 for the past 5 years and have absolutely no complaints about the stove itself or it's ability to heat my house. However I am to the point (mainly the wife when I'm on shift) where a longer over night burn would be nice. Been reading a lot about the Woodstock Progress Hybrid and really love the way it looks. So I have a few questions. 1. It's a side loader and I have my stove installed in a corner. So to facilitate the side load and be in specs I need to move the stove forward a bit. Is that as simple and using a 90 to move it forward? 2. The family loves sitting in the living room and watch the fire. Are we still going to get a good fire viewing or just a dark fire box for hours? 3. I know the Progress is a big stove, so I don't want to cook us out of the room. It's an open room with 11' ceilings. We can run the F500 pretty much wide open and not get overheated unless it's been a warmer day and the house is not to cold. We are going to finish up the winter on the Oslo and make a switch in the summer if we decide to do it. Thanks for any help!

I've had a Jotul F500 for the past 5 years and have absolutely no complaints about the stove itself or it's ability to heat my house. However I am to the point (mainly the wife when I'm on shift) where a longer over night burn would be nice. Been reading a lot about the Woodstock Progress Hybrid and really love the way it looks. So I have a few questions. 1. It's a side loader and I have my stove installed in a corner. So to facilitate the side load and be in specs I need to move the stove forward a bit. Is that as simple and using a 90 to move it forward? 2. The family loves sitting in the living room and watch the fire. Are we still going to get a good fire viewing or just a dark fire box for hours? 3. I know the Progress is a big stove, so I don't want to cook us out of the room. It's an open room with 11' ceilings. We can run the F500 pretty much wide open and not get overheated unless it's been a warmer day and the house is not to cold. We are going to finish up the winter on the Oslo and make a switch in the summer if we decide to do it. Thanks for any help!
I would use two 45 degree instead of two 90

How much do you need to move it? Could you just rear-vent it into a 90 elbow?
https://www.ventingpipe.com/heat-fa...4382!&ef_id=V8GF2AAAALhD-Tdg:20161216042738:s

That's what I was asking...I could move it out a bit with a 90...however I am really close to making clearances as is...maybe an inch off on the loading side. So I may be able to tweak things a bit with rotating the stove. The Progress is 2" wider than the Oslo so I lose an inch on the loading side for clearances.

That's what I was asking...I could move it out a bit with a 90...however I am really close to making clearances as is...maybe an inch off on the loading side. So I may be able to tweak things a bit with rotating the stove. The Progress is 2" wider than the Oslo so I lose an inch on the loading side for clearances.
Ohh. Rear vent. Two 45's won't work.

Status
Not open for further replies.