Thinking about hooking up my cold air return

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

ikessky

Minister of Fire
Hearth Supporter
Sep 2, 2008
Northern WI
Up until now, I've left the filter box on the back of my add-on furnace open and just pulled basement air. Lately I've been thinking about hooking the add-on furnace to my existing cold air return. My question is regarding backdraft dampers. Do I really need on in the way of the NG furnace. Attached is a picture of the current duct work. My thought is to just put a 12" return in the overhead duct work. My concern with not doing a damper is that I don't want to pull warm air down over my AC coils, short cycle my system, and not get heat upstairs. (I already have dampers in the supply pipes so that my AC doesn't cool the basement).
[URL=http://smg.photobucket.com/user/ikessky/media/100_7605.jpg.html][/URL]

Status
Not open for further replies.