Thinking about it...

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
What one wants and what is available right now may be very different things.

The Jotul inserts were designed and created in Maine. They are basic steel tube-secondary stoves and popular. I don't know why they weren't updated to meet the 2020 requirements. It seems like Jotul just decided to abandon a lot of the US market.

Reactions: EbS-P
Hey Guys,

My installer has a new Jotul F3 CB he can sell me. I'm waiting on the price. It's still in the crate and built in 2019.

Is this a good stove and what would be a good price for this?

Thanks!

I would take the TN20 for a number of reasons over the F3CB. It's a cute little stove, but the firebox is small and as an E/W loader it can only hold a few splits at best. If it was an F400 I would say maybe.

FYI, it's not legal to sell this stove as new now. The price should reflect that.

I would take the TN20 for a number of reasons over the F3CB. It's a cute little stove, but the firebox is small and as an E/W loader it can only hold a few splits at best. If it was an F400 I would say maybe.

FYI, it's not legal to sell this stove as new now. The price should reflect that.
Just to clarify, are you referring to the tn20 insert or stove?

Thanks!

The Jotul. It's not legal to sell a pre-EPA 2020 stove as new.

I was actually referring to how you like the tn20 over the jotul but do you mean the tn20 insert or stove?
Both have the same firebox. The TN20 has almost twice the load capacity as the F3CB. And it loads N/S for fuller loads without worrying about the wood rolling up against the glass. I like Jotuls, but found the air control crude on the F3CB, especially when compared to the smooth action of the air control on the larger Jotuls.

You know, there WAY to many "rules" you have to follow, to have a wood burner, its no wonder most people dont. Rather pay the light bill or the gas bill....whatever the case may be. Its not that bad in reality.

You know, there WAY to many "rules" you have to follow, to have a wood burner, its no wonder most people dont. Rather pay the light bill or the gas bill....whatever the case may be. Its not that bad in reality.
Probably just as many rules (or more) when you install a gas furnace. And the “rules” are usually just building code. So yeah rules to keep one safe.

I get the safety part, but how is 1/8 of an inch too close to kill you? I mean, and dont take this wrong, but code inspectors are like doctors....theres always something wrong. All I know is back when my Kin started life here, a LONG time ago, there wasnt a code enforcer or stainless pipe. You made what you had work, thats it.

Yes, and a lot more died.

Apparently you are willing (or forced, I get that) to endanger yourself and your wife.

Others may be less inclined to do that.

Also, if your home is insured, and if something goes wrong, if they find you had an installation that was against code, they may not pay out.

Finally, you're here explicitly admitting that what you are doing is wrong and illegal. If it is discovered who you are, it's not even (claimed) negligence, but willfull endangerment.

Ok, so I'm down to the tn20 stove or jotul f3cb. I'm leaning toward the true north stove because of the larger firebox but I'm concerned that about half of that stove will be in the firebox and the other half on the hearth causing me to lose a decent amount of heat the stove produces. I really don't want to get a blower right now, plus I don't think it will be that helpful since I will only have about an inch between the top of stove and lintel.

So, will I still get good heat output with the tn20 with half in firebox and half sticking out on hearth? Its an interior chimney/fireplace in the middle of my house.

Or, will the jotul f3 heat better since it's rear vented and does not have to be completely in the firebox?

Thanks!

Already chimed in on this at the beginning of the thread with a compromise solution.

I get the safety part, but how is 1/8 of an inch too close to kill you? I mean, and dont take this wrong, but code inspectors are like doctors....theres always something wrong. All I know is back when my Kin started life here, a LONG time ago, there wasnt a code enforcer or stainless pipe. You made what you had work, thats it.
No if you install it correctly there is nothing for them to find wrong. Yes many many houses were built before codes. And many of those houses didn't make it due to fire or structural failure because of that.

Yes, life has a lot of rules, including how one drives on the road, and even when to cross the street. So if one chooses to pay the gas bill, but ignore the safety rules for minimum tire tread or brake safety, then sure, it's that person's choice. This gets complicated quickly however when something gets wrong and another person is involved and possibly injured or killed. That's called negligent homicide.
Well, if its illegal, I better shut her down. I will sit and freeze to death. Im done on this site. Too many prudes.
Don't let the door hit ya where the good Lord split ya.

Well, if its illegal, I better shut her down. I will sit and freeze to death. Im done on this site. Too many prudes.
Sorry that you take all the input that way; most here would prefer to get the best advise possible and work towards the ideal solution with my eyes open to the challenges & risks. Only you can evaluate your situation and define the progressive steps and time frame to get there; now you are armed with some good advise to help with that.

Reactions: begreen and Vg3200p
Many of us understand the logistics of safe wood burning, for some it’s a harder navigation then for others, what we don’t want to see is someone take advice from this online platform and use it in an irresponsible manner.
As a firefighter, I’ve seen my fair share of heartache, just last week we had a fatal fire in my district, the cause is still under investigation, but I can say the temps that night were in the upper 20’s, heating safely is of the utmost importance, sometimes people don’t get the second chance from small mistakes.

Reactions: begreen and bholler
Another caveat with the VC stoves is that they are primarily top loaders. The TN20 still seems like a better fit. Put in a block-off plate and leave off the surround if the goal is to use the blower less.
I’ve also been looking at the Encore by VC. It has front doors as well as top load. Top load may be better on a sore back.

I’ve also been looking at the Encore by VC. It has front doors as well as top load. Top load may be better on a sore back.
Not that good for loading in a fireplace unless the top load has full clearance. And some have a rear thermostat that is thrown off by the heat in the fireplace cavity. Also, these are high-maintenance, and cat stoves. Be very careful if buying used.