Thinking about purchasing pellet stove??

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
bee_2102 said:
I am trying to do all the research I can on which model would suit my needs the best. I have a ranch style home. 1250 sq ft on the upper floor and 1250 sq ft in a finished basement. I am tired of having my house set at 66 and getting no where with oil. I would like to put it in my living room, but am skeptical that the heat would make it back the hallway to the bedrooms. Any info or suggestions would greatly be appreciated.

I also have a fireplace in my basement. Would I be better off getting a pellet insert hoping the heat would make it upstairs?

My experience, the stoves aren't really meant to heat into separate rooms, even I'd you crank the stove all the way, it's terribly inefficient. However they will heat "central areas" very nicely. My solution: get a space heater (or even better an electric fireplace for ambiance) coupled to a programmable thermostat for the bedroom. I have left the oil heat at 45 even on the coldest days and this works well. You can leave the pellet stove on in standby mode if you feel comfortable with it.

bee_2102 said:
I am trying to do all the research I can on which model would suit my needs the best. I have a ranch style home. 1250 sq ft on the upper floor and 1250 sq ft in a finished basement. I am tired of having my house set at 66 and getting no where with oil. I would like to put it in my living room, but am skeptical that the heat would make it back the hallway to the bedrooms. Any info or suggestions would greatly be appreciated.

I also have a fireplace in my basement. Would I be better off getting a pellet insert hoping the heat would make it upstairs?

We have a Quadrafire CB1200. We heat a 2500 sqft colonial, down stairs is warm, upstairs is comfortable for sleeping. My only regret is not buying it sooner.

I have a st croix lancaster that heats my 1600 sq ft ranch w/ no problem. This is a reliable simple stove that is reasonable priced. I have a Harman in the basement that we use on a as needed basis. I use a average of 1 bag a day in st croix, This stove seems to be pretty effeceint . Harman Accentra insert is a nice stove.

Thanks for all your help and input. I would love to get and insert for the basement and a FS stove upstairs, but I don't have the money for that, so I may just shoot for a stove upstairs and put the insert in the following year. My father-in-law has offered me his 983 Hitzer insert for donwstiars, but I don't know if I really want to deal with the coal.

Status
Not open for further replies.