Thinking about running a slammer for a year

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
So what in particular makes them unsafe? I saw in the other thread that they were no longer allowed after the 70's, mine was made/installed in 86. It worked well and drafted great. I agree that it did have to be pulled out to clean the chimney. I see all the time that they are in safe, just wondering why.
Well there are several issues. The fact that they do not have any connection to the flue means that lots of extra dilution air can leak in which weakens draft and cools the flue gasses. Both of these issues lead to excess creosote buildup. The fact that the flue is also usually oversized is another factor in creosote buildup. So now you have a firebox and smoke chamber with allot of creosote in it and you get a spark that lights it off. Now you have no way to shut the air down and you have allot of fuel to supply the fire. So in the event of a fire it is a big one there have been quite a few where that creosote melted and ran down and out of the firebox in a black gooey flaming mess.

Then you also have the issue of co. If the draft stalls which can happen easily with the dilution air and oversized flue ect with no connection co can easily leak out into the house

I haven't seen an answer yet to the question of what the home owner (not the renter who posted the question) thinks about this.

I would imagine they would have final decision in this case on what is done to the house.

Could it be a violation of the rental agreement to install a heating decice that is not to code?

I own and rent properties, and one of the stipulations in all of my leases is that the fireplace may not be used by the tenants. I would never install a wood stove in a house I was going to rent since I would never trust a renter to run it correctly.

I doubt the owner of this property would think it wise to allow a slammer installation. But if you think they will, you should ask them. If they agree, you should still think twice about doing it as the owner might not even understand what could go wrong with such an install, and the nature of your question indicates that you do understand what could go wrong.

Golden rule: treat others the way you want to be treated. Sounds like you wouldn't want a renter to do that to your house if situation were reversed.

Reactions: KimiBwoah
Im thinking about just running a slammer stove in the fireplace this winter. Any feedback.

Do you mean slammer, or a direct-connect (pipe past smoke shelf) w/ block-off plate? If slammer, no. If direct-connect, sure, but ONLY if the stove is sound and 1) wood is truly dry and fully seasoned 2) flue is periodically inspected/cleaned through the season 3) you have the blessing of the landlord AND his insurance company.

It's that last one that's going to get you, because if and when your landlord asks his insurance agent about this, he's going to frown.

More on direct-connect:
https://www.hearth.com/talk/threads/direct-connect-into-a-chimney-good-or-bad.37560/

The ower was all for it but there is not enough draw for it,any time the door opened smoke pour out. Just going suck it up and pay the oil bill.

Plus my wife thinks it ugly.

Last edited:
The ower was all for it but there is not enough draw for it,any time the door opened smoke pour out. Just going suck it up and pay the oil bill.

Sorry but I'm skeptical any rental owner is ok with something that would invalidate their insurance. You got denied!

Status
Not open for further replies.