Thirty feet, one SootEater, 10 ounces.

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

davidmsem

Minister of Fire
Oct 30, 2014
New haven, Connecticut
Well this morning I'll see if I knocked my cap off when cleaning the flue for the first time.....I thought I could feel the top and avoided putting pressure.....TBD. I tried the glow stick on the end to find the top in advance and that was just a comedy act, so i just went for it.

The SootEater was easy enough to work up the thirty feet of blanketed continuous flue. A few areas must have some slight bends as it was a tad tough in spots. I kept moving it back and forth......kept losing the little key that disconnects the sections...Took me way longer than I thought, but it was the first time.

The result is 10 ounces at most of mostly gray soot and a thin brown layer of soot from the very top.

I burned mostly very dry wood, 4 years of seasoning, and maybe a half chord of recently split ash.

I also noticed that the edges of my fire brick at the top of the fire box were a bit brittle and a couple of 1/2" pieces flaked off.

Two questions. Does the amount of ash seem consistent with burning 24 7 for most of the winter? Do you think the brittleness of the firebrick was from an overfiring as I did over fire at least once last year when she reached 900?

That sounds great. How much wood in total did you burn last season? Not sure about the firebrick but >800F temps are to be avoided. Try a small break-in fire for the first burn of the year and let it go out. That helps drive out and dry up moisture in the firebrick. Then burn as normal.

Sounds like a success story to me. 10 oz in a 30 foot flue burning 24x7 is great. I agree, it takes a while to do the cleaning with the sooteater. I've been doing it for 2 years and the last cleaning took as long as the first cleaning. I find it tuff to release the clips sometimes.

Did you order 2 sooteaters to reach 30 feet?

That sounds great. How much wood in total did you burn last season? Not sure about the firebrick but >800F temps are to be avoided. Try a small break-in fire for the first burn of the year and let it go out. That helps drive out and dry up moisture in the firebrick. Then burn as normal.
Thanks....I burned about 2.5 to three cords. Started in mid December after the install!

Sounds like a success story to me. 10 oz in a 30 foot flue burning 24x7 is great. I agree, it takes a while to do the cleaning with the sooteater. I've been doing it for 2 years and the last cleaning took as long as the first cleaning. I find it tuff to release the clips sometimes.

Did you order 2 sooteaters to reach 30 feet?
I should have ordered two....I saw a pack of 4 rods for $20..... There were two in the pack.....it pays to wear glasses when ordering on line.

Status
Not open for further replies.