This Forum is Creating the Pellet Panic!!

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I guess we're fortunate in WNY. Most of the big box stores have plentiful supplies of wood pellets, and the manager I spoke with at TSC the other night said he was $20k short on sales so far this season for wood pellets so he actually has an overstock right now (there were at least 100 tons stacked behind the store). Going rate here is $200-$245 per ton.

Looks like a road trip to ny any wanna go

I guess we're fortunate in WNY. Most of the big box stores have plentiful supplies of wood pellets, and the manager I spoke with at TSC the other night said he was $20k short on sales so far this season for wood pellets so he actually has an overstock right now (there were at least 100 tons stacked behind the store). Going rate here is $200-$245 per ton.
There are 7 mills in the West PenNY-ginia region. A highly concentrated forested area with lots of well established forest product business'. My company hauls in and out of 1 of the larger pellet mills and inventory is no where near what it has been in the past. Lower inventories and higher demand/prices in other areas could make for an exodus in local inventories .
Our wood orders are at all time lows. The slowest I've seen it in 26 years. Highly unusual coming off one of the worst winters in a long time. All production is usually spoken for until December shutdown by now. Orders are only out about 4 weeks right now.
I'm not buying into the truck shortage issues I've been hearing.It may have been an issue last winter when temps were consistently below zero but there should be no issues now. Products and imports coming inland need trucks returning to coastal regions.

Last edited:
Reactions: Peterfield
The problem with the dealer I use is that the "early buy" price wasn't even a discount. It was the same I paid last year, so I waited not wanting to store pellets all summer. I ended up paying the same price I paid before when I ordered just recently.

My dealer wasn't sure at first if they would even offer an early buy discount this year when I bought my pellets. When the discount actually took place, he refunded me the difference.

Maybe off topic,,,,,but is this a good business to get into? I have been watching the process on youtube, starts with wood chips and saw dust.
There's a BIG startup cost, that's for sure. I'd be happy to test any product samples :D

I'm not sure, but I ask a question and it seemed that I was too lazy to look it up on the web. Hard to tell. I had a root canal a few hours earlier and not in best state to be posting. I need to fire up the stove for calming flame ambiance.

I am not sure about any particular shortage, when we bought our Rockland 550, I couldn't find a pellet tree in the state, so we opted for a chainsaw and a wood stove. :)

Reactions: johninwi
I am not sure about any particular shortage, when we bought our Rockland 550, I couldn't find a pellet tree in the state, so we opted for a chainsaw and a wood stove. :)

But can you start it by the push of a button or regulate the house temperature within 2 degrees?

Reactions: jtakeman
But can you start it by the push of a button or regulate the house temperature within 2 degrees?
Fair, and no. But my furnace will regulate to a half a degree, but when were burning, it never runs. :)

A friend of mine who lives in NH has a woodstove. According to him, It is illegal to transport firewood across county lines due to invasive insects like the asian longhorn beetle. No such restriction on pellets.

I wondered how long it would take a cord wood burner to show up and poop in the thread. ;lol

Fair, and no. But my furnace will regulate to a half a degree, but when were burning, it never runs. :)

My furnace has done nothing except provide hot water for years.

Our local Home Depot is running behind on their wood pellet sales. The have pre-paid orders for 60 tons last time the guy checked. They only get one tracker trailer load of 22 tons, if that at the beginning of each week. So probably a month behind!

Our local Lowes only has 3-4 tons of their most expensive pellets left last night. Green Team at $299 per ton. They will be gone this morning!

So there may be an issue with getting some pellets.

My furnace has done nothing except provide hot water for years.
Tim,
since your only using your furnace just for Hot water, do you lower the original temp settings?
Normal operation for Heat/Hot water is 180 degree high/160 low . this would be normal setup having hot water baseboard heat/Oil Fired furnace
but wondering if I should lower temps since not using for heat myself...

Reactions: Peterfield
No. Ive left it alone.

Tim,
since your only using your furnace just for Hot water, do you lower the original temp settings?
Normal operation for Heat/Hot water is 180 degree high/160 low . this would be normal setup having hot water baseboard heat/Oil Fired furnace
but wondering if I should lower temps since not using for heat myself...

Does your boiler cycle if there is no call for hot water?

Nevermind you would not have a low setting if it was not cycling to maintain temp. You could turn the low down as low as it would go although Im sure someone will say its bad for your boiler. I converted mine to a cold start when I wasnt running the heat and just producing hot water.

Last edited:
Does your boiler cycle if there is no call for hot water?

Nevermind you would not have a low setting if it was not cycling to maintain temp. You could turn the low down as low as it would go although Im sure someone will say its bad for your boiler. I converted mine to a cold start when I wasnt running the heat and just producing hot water.
Boiler will cycle when the temp drops 20 degrees. have it set at 20 degree differential.
Actually checked and it's still at summer settings... 160 high/140 low....

Read my lips, There is no pellet shortage, give them time. Sometimes they have them then they run out then they order, then they have them etc etc.

I bought 6 tons in May no pellet shortage at my house

Read my lips, There is no pellet shortage, give them time. Sometimes they have them then they run out then they order, then they have them etc etc.
Ct Pellets: " Please know that with the current wood pellet shortage across the entire northeast, we are currently able to supply our regular existing customers exclusively. We truly regret that right now we do not have the inventory to take on any new customers this season."

Burn Time Enterprises: " Due to the shortages, product availability changes on a day to day basis."

Trading Post: " WE HAVE SOLD OUT OF OUR GUARANTEED PELLET DELIVERIES FROM OUR SUPPLIER. STARTING IN OCTOBER, WE WILL HAVE LIMITED SUPPLIES OF BAG SALES."

If there is no shortage here then there sure must be a big conspiracy with all the retailers.

I see the price going up, no shortage here in Ontario Home Depo, Walmart Crappy Tire. They run out due to the early onset of cold weather but after a few days full stock. My buddy and I just rec'd 10 tons delivered. Feel sorry for you guys in the northeast could be another cold winter coming.

I hate to sound callous, but lots of us, myself included, have been practically begging people to buy their pellets early. Those that didn't listen only have themselves to blame if they cant find any.

Reactions: Pete Zahria
I'm not a pellet guy, but a very good friend owns two mills here in the NW. He is currently visiting dealers in NE selling them pellets. They will need to go by rail across the good old USA. He tells me business is EXCELLENT and selling has never been easier.

Status
Not open for further replies.