This Forum is Creating the Pellet Panic!!

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Saw a few bags of damaged chows at the depot so figured I'd throw them into the mix to test on top of my 5 tons of Geneva. Got the cash lady to take 50% off for $2.50/bag. They appear to be dry.
119033611ebb77787d622a4633a2cc5f.jpg

Then to Tractor Supply for MWP
9d4761e302c0441755abc06b8f1e424f.jpg
Go to firewoodhoarders.com and there's a post re current TSC upc producers..... You might be surprised who the upc connects the production run to!

My thoughts exactly, from all my research found nothing about NEWP's being the same.

When I was at Lowes, all the pellets were spoken for. Chatted with the head sales clerk and was informed that they were trying to get the customers who were waiting for agrees Supreme to switch to Maine's Choice and told them they were actually Green Supreme under a different name and would I like a ton of two since no one seemed to want them. The UPC's matched the name brand GS bags they had there so I assumed that was good info. On this forum, several have said Green Supremes are NEWP pellets. All very confusing but I just hope the Accentra 52i likes what I feed it.

Green Supreme and NEWP are the same proprietary brand. NEWP is bagged in Jaffrey NH and the GS are bagged at one of their NY plants. As stated earlier Maines Choice are rebagged Genevas

Green Supreme and NEWP are the same proprietary brand. NEWP is bagged in Jaffrey NH and the GS are bagged at one of their NY plants. As stated earlier Maines Choice are rebagged Genevas

Well, that would certainly explain why folks who wanted GS wouldn't switch. Thanks.

Thought I read that on this forum a couple of weeks ago in a post directed to me from a member when I wrote I had picked up a couple of tons. If they are Geneva's, that was also on my list to try and I am anxious to get started.

Greene Supremes were a bagged store brand that were made by NEWP.

I doubt if the small mill in Strong does store brands.

Whenever dealing with store brands you need to check the actual UPC on the product to know who actually made that product and yes it can change over time. Geneva has more than one product however, Maine's Choice is one of their brands.

Well, that would certainly explain why folks who wanted GS wouldn't switch. Thanks.

Now from what I read on here and other places along with some posted pictures I don't know of anyone who wouldn't try another brand just to see if it didn't produce as much ash as the Green Supremes were, but that might just be me.

ETA: I have a cousin who exclusively burns Maine's Choice.

Maines Choice burned cleaner then Green Supreme for me, but with a bit less heat. So if the price is right, they might make a good shoulder season pellet. Lowe's new prices are crazy though, hopefully HD doesn't follow suit.

Maines Choice burned cleaner then Green Supreme for me, but with a bit less heat. So if the price is right, they might make a good shoulder season pellet. Lowe's new prices are crazy though, hopefully HD doesn't follow suit.
TSC has gone up as well. $264.50 per ton minus a $10 full pallet discount.

Shortage or not, Lowe's just raised their price to 267.84 a ton for GS.

Greene Team are up to $350 a ton at lowes. Somebody is smoking something good!!!!!

Greene Team are up to $350 a ton at lowes. Somebody is smoking something good!!!!!
That's more than what I paid for Douglas Fir

Still saving quite a bit just not quite as much as last year.

I'm wondering that if everyone would just be calm and we had a one month moratorium on buying (for those who have pellets already), I suspect the prices would start dropping when panic sets in at the retailer level as their stock just sits there.
Oh no
, only going to be 70 degrees next week, better get another two ton.

When I was at Lowes, all the pellets were spoken for. Chatted with the head sales clerk and was informed that they were trying to get the customers who were waiting for agrees Supreme to switch to Maine's Choice and told them they were actually Green Supreme under a different name and would I like a ton of two since no one seemed to want them. The UPC's matched the name brand GS bags they had there so I assumed that was good info. On this forum, several have said Green Supremes are NEWP pellets. All very confusing but I just hope the Accentra 52i likes what I feed it.
Your 52i will eat it no problem .my complaint from having 3 tons of green supreme last years was it made my p35i dirty as heck after one ton cleaning.then when I used green team a night and day difference on how much better heat and less ash.

I'm wondering that if everyone would just be calm and we had a one month moratorium on buying (for those who have pellets already), I suspect the prices would start dropping when panic sets in at the retailer level as their stock just sits there.
Raw material production comes close to a standstill mid Nov-early Jan.
Id bet this year under average seasonal temps finished pellet inventories will seriously tighten by January.

I haven't bought pellets since April.

Reactions: Peterfield

You sure? I have burned Maines Choice and Geneva in succession, purchased within a couple of weeks, and they were definitely different in both appearance and how they burned. I read somewhere that Geneva uses different fiber for each label.

I have also purchased Green Supreme shipped form Jaffrey, not sure why they would rebag, I have to assume they sell far more green supreme label than newp label.

Status
Not open for further replies.