This information could save your life

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
E

elkimmeg

Lets face we cannot live without stairs. Realizing that, stairways are protected by smoke detectors.
What is protecting the floor vent hole? I guess none of you have sat in seminars examining how fires engulf homes?
None of you realize the benefits of fire stopping or draft stopping and none know how important containment is. Hopefully you will never have to know when seconds do matter. Ever wonder why laundry shuts have been banned from residential construction? Your floors and ceilings are natural containment structures as such holes and penetrations have to be protected. I outlined the safest way to accomplish that, fire dampers, smoke dampers or ceiling dampers, one of which is required. Due to cost, residential building codes do not address exit ways. In commercial construction stairways and halls are with self-closing fire doors and hourly ratings of the sheetrock. Why, a affording more time for safe exit and containment? It is not far in the future, that home sprinkler systems will be required; Why Sprinklers buy time for safe exit (or fire suppression)

The point of this post is to alert all of the dangers. In society some will ignore warning and are willing to take the risk. What is wrong is advocating for others to follow suit. At some point one could be dead wrong. Unfortunately there are other family members who have no idea their safety has been compromised.

Let me end with a word about smoke detectors there are two common types ion and photoelectric. Each has strong point and weaknesses
Ion, most common and cheapest, good for responding to open flame Woefully ineffective reporting smoldering fires. With fire retardants present in furniture and rugs clothing and curtains, Smoldering fires are a real threat. The fact that they can go un detected for a long time and suddenly burst out in flames makes them all the more dangerous. Your home can become engulfed in so much smoke that finding stairs may be impossible before the ion detector alarms.

Photoelectric strong suit is early detection of smoke from smoldering fires. Weakness not a quick to respond to open flames than the ion detectors. I watched the film in seminars how fire and smoke spreads through a home. It is scary how much smoke there is before the ion detector sounded. Why has the public not been informed sooner? There are warehouses filled with ion detectors, manufactures have actually suppressed this news to the public Builders are on a budget and supply what will pass current code, and many do not know, worse the electricians install them and they don’t know or have never been informed. There are combination photoelectric and ion sensors on the market today. In fact there are three way detectors including carbon monoxide detection. Don’t believe me do a web search check out the pros and cons of each?
What is under your Christmas tree? Something that could save your life

already had several ionization smoke detectors. Went to target and got a combo CO and photoelectric smoke detector today. Thanks for the tip.

by the way, how's that new style cat working out for you?

Status
Not open for further replies.