This is a new one….Rockwool glowing????

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

MEngineer24

Burning Hunk
Dec 6, 2020
WV
Anybody ever saw this before. I’m quite concerned.

6311D259-CCBC-4D02-9342-498D14D62CCF.jpeg

Cool. A leak in the flue pipe,perhaps?
After taking the poker in the and digging out the rockwool. A bunch of black soot came out with it. Guess this could be the culprit?? It’s the only thing I can figure. The pipe seems fine, no visible sign of damage or leaks. Never happened before today and we’ve had several fires. Once I dug out the rockwool, no more glowing. @bholler any input? Could the black soot be the culprit?

0F1F2289-6461-4D3C-BB4A-AD9AF50DDD83.jpeg

After taking the poker in the and digging out the rockwool. A bunch of black soot came out with it. Guess this could be the culprit?? It’s the only thing I can figure. The pipe seems fine, no visible sign of damage or leaks. Never happened before today and we’ve had several fires. Once I dug out the rockwool, no more glowing. @bholler any input? Could the black soot be the culprit?

View attachment 285314
Yes and it tells me your chimney wasn't cleaned well enough before the install

Yes and it tells me your chimney wasn't cleaned well enough before the install
I would 100% agree to that. After some digging behind there, looks like when they swept the top flue tiles they didn’t get down in that channel they cut out on the smoke shelf. Scary situation without a doubt.

Reactions: Mt Bob