This is My new firewood processor for cut and split woods

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
What I think we have here is a difference in perception. As Metsaman stated, anything much larger than a sapling gets sold for lumber, in his locale. We're used to using 40"+ trees for firewood, which would probably make any Fin's head spin. Different geography and economics, different "best" processing methods.

I drag home at least one tree in that 40" to 60" (100 - 150 cm) diameter, every year. I used to try to hump them onto the 22-ton splitter, set vertically, which just wore me out. Now I just leave the rounds on their side when they come off the trailer, and noodle them to 6" thick slabs. I can then splits the slabs down to my final firewood size, using my 22-ton splitter. When a single 20" long x 50" diameter round weighs 1500 lb., those 6" x 20" x 50" slabs can still weigh as much as 220 lb (100 kg) each.

Here Finland are professional firewood makers / sellers that use bigger woods too but if You have big logs and they are ok, You get those logs more money if You sell to forest companys.

Reactions: Firewood Bandit
It is much the same here Metsaman. The difference is what we consider to be large logs. The lumber processors do not use smaller logs in either place but we have some very large logs in many places. A log only 45 cm would be considered too small to use for lumber here. Even a 60 cm log would be considered no more than marginal for lumber.

Yes, You are rigth,

Here forest company's can use butt logs starting 25 cm and that is called "small log" and they make forest clear cutting buttlogs starting about 30 cm...

I have seen only few times over 70 cm diameter logs here.

Nice looking logs You have, what wood that is and how You split those, axe... ?

No I use a 28 ton splitter. It can be used vertically too if one cannot pick up the round. However it is easier to take a big saw, noodle it 3/4 of the through and the split it with a Fiskars X27. I break up the rounds into chunks smaller than 100 so they can be easily lifted on to the splitter.

Here Finland are professional firewood makers / sellers that use bigger woods too but if You have big logs and they are ok, You get those logs more money if You sell to forest companys.

Don't mean to hijack your thread, but here is what timber around here looks like.

We have some pretty nice timber here. The pics of the sorted log landing amounted to 1.5 days of the boys working.

2mnfxwy.jpg

2vuzm8j.jpg

10ydfo3.jpg

2mev5u1.jpg

1zn9zt3.jpg

2a99vnc.jpg

mwcfug.jpg

Nice wood and nice logs, very happy to see others work and playground too, very nice landscape :)

You get lots of firewood those logs or do You make all that in firewoods. ?

Reactions: Firewood Bandit
Nice wood and nice logs, very happy to see others work and playground too, very nice landscape :)

You get lots of firewood those logs or do You make all that in firewoods. ?

The logs in the 3rd and 4th from the top are veneer grade, those are $1/board foot for the landowner. In other words, very valuable.

The cut offs I deal with are waste and don't have much value other than firewood. They are harder to process than cull logs but the wood is just as good

The 60" diameter oak I cut after superstorm Sandy was standing in that spot since at least the 1740's, and I suspect it was a good many years old then, since they chose to make a picnic grove under it at that time.

How old are those trees, here Finland bigger trees are 70 - 80 years old on average when they cut down.

The forester overseeing the project said 80 years old.

The 60" diameter oak I cut after superstorm Sandy was standing in that spot since at least the 1740's, and I suspect it was a good many years old then, since they chose to make a picnic grove under it at that time.

That is one of old tree and huge too....

I think here in Finland trees grow more slowly then compare You country/place...
I'm sure you're right. You're at the same latitude as Canada's Northwest Territories. 95% of those on this forum are very much south of you.

And it sounds like you can actually see Russia from your house. :)

Reactions: Metsaman
That's under an hour's drive, German style.

Yes it is about 11 inches, I make woods in that diameter rarely on firewoods because is more economical to sell bigger woods in forest industry and they use them in they process.

Now to the real question; bark up or bark down? Yeah we heard about you guys over there! ;lol

Do You mean how I gone pile firewoods. ?

A while back someone posted a link to a story and TV show about either Swedes, Finns or Norwegians (I apologize -- but I forget which nationality it was) that had a great debate going on whether to stack their splits in their wood piles with the bark facing up or down.

Status
Not open for further replies.