This little hole...

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

DiBar

Hearth Supporter
Oct 7, 2008
Western NY
OK, I was just sitting here after getting a new load of wood going - hadn't turned it down all the way yet. I heard a pop from inside the stove (not unusual as the wood is heating up) but I glanced over at the stove and saw a glow, like an ember in this little hole on the flue. See picture. The hole is directly opposite the handle for the damper, which we have never used (2nd season burning). First of all, is this hole supposed to be open? I have cleaned the dust from the top of the stove many many times and can't remember if there was ever a "cover" over the hole. Second, if I could see a glow, couldn't smoke, etc come out that hole?

Thanks!
Lopi Republic 1750

Attachments

• This little hole...
    stove.jpg
    34.6 KB · Views: 359
The pointy end of the key damper rod should be sticking out that hole. That is what it pivots on.

That is what we were thinking. Any idea on how to get it out there and keep it out?

+1 But I don't think anything should be glowing up that high on the stack either.

I'm sure the pop you heard was the damper falling out of the hole. You need to take the pipe apart to see the damper plate and pull the rod out of it, kinda hard to explain, you'll see when you open it up

LLigetfa said:
The pointy end of the key damper rod should be sticking out that hole. That is what it pivots on.

What LL said plus, no smoke should come out of there usually, but air will enter in and cool your flue gasses. It doesnt take much. The ember you saw was probably a spark that was being carried up from the snap crackle pop of your wood which made a positive pressure in your flue for a short second.

The key damper rod is spring loaded. It pushes through that hole and while the damper plate is held still, the rod is turned 90 degrees and should "key" in. If it doesn't key in, it's toast. If you don't use the damper, take it out and plug the two holes with bolts giving it the Frankenstein look.

The rod seems to be resting on the inner wall of the double wall pipe. Doesn't seem like the spring can compress anymore to make the rod long enough to reach the outer wall. Maybe we will just stick a mini-bolt or short screw in the hole.

Ah, so. I didn't get that it was doublewall pipe.

Status
Not open for further replies.